Existing Member?

Jess's Travels

Praha

CZECH REPUBLIC | Sunday, 9 December 2007 | Views [633] | Comments [2]

Hola chicos y chicas.

Here I am once again to recite the details of my life. I'm still in Prague, technically we're not meant to be but we are so we are going to enjoy it. We were meant to go to Cesky Krumlov this afternoon but when we arrived home last night at 11:30 this morning we decided it might be best to alter our plans... And so here I am for one night more.

Once again we've latched on to some Aussies - we had a very long night last night at a club called the Cross Club and if you ever come to Prague you have to go see it just because it is so interesting. There is mechanical stuff everywhere, its very loud and weird, Eric keeps calling it a spaceship - but absolutely worth going to for a long night out.

Just realised how many countries I'm behind in this so here's the update from the last week or so.

Leaving our little hostel in Budapest we were just so excited to get those unsavoury bags back onto our backs to journey into the world. Unfortunately, despite a great time in Budapest, our exit will forever be stained in my mind because as we got off the metro at the station, metro guards came along and fined us 5000 Hungarian florint (ok so it's about $35 but we're backpacking...and it's just mean) - we explained to her that we had only been told to buy one ticket but she was awful and took all of our money. So our wallets much lighter we boarded the train eventually and were on our way.

Bratislava was beuatiful. It had all the novelty of a good city with none of the pretentiousness. And sidenote here - *Slovakian girls have to be the most attractive girls I have ever seen in my life. - Just in case any of you guys at home are looking for a wife in future.*

There was a really odd mix of people in the hostel though, quite a few racists and just weirdos so we kind of avoided everyone ate really good pizza and just kept to ourselves. But this city just had a really good feeling about it - you felt really safe and happy there. I think it's probably due to the amount of trees around but who knows.

We only stayed in Slovakia for one day and then we were on our way here, to Prague. Apart from a strange German man staring at us for half the way and continually getting fines from the train guards, the trip was pretty uneventful. And once again I found there were hours of beautiful, quaint little Czech villages to watch as we went by that I'm actually going to stop in when I come back some time.

Prague has been a city of rest pretty much so far. The first night we both crashed and then hung out downstairs with the copious amounts of Australians and a couple of Americans. The following day the event that made me most happy was getting my washing done - I'm getting really sad but this trip really teaches you the important things - clean clothes, hot showers and not having to carry your life on your back are so underated in our daily lives.

But post-washing we went walking up to the Charles Bridge and round the river for a couple of hours. We got one of the best meals I've had in Europe so far - oh yes Relle hitting up the salmon (had doubts - it is a land locked country, but in the end so glad I chanced it). Back at the hostel we met up with some new people and decided on a night of jazz in the city so off we ventured.

Unfortunately we are all incredibly cheap so when they wanted 300 koruna for entry we gave up and decided we knew better and we'd find somewhere new. After about 40 mins of walking in the rain we found the other jazz club - it was booked out with a private party of old men and ladies singing karaoke - great - and that is how we ended up in an Irish pub in Prague.

On our way home we thought we'd check out the Cross Club because everyone here has raved about it and its just around the corner from our hostel. I've already gone on about it but we loved it, stayed for a little while and then had our plans for last night set.

Yesterday we went to Hrad Castle which had pretty spectacular views over the city, but sorry mum and dad - the memory card is full so I don't have any photos of it - half of these hostels don't have USB connections set up for me.

Afterward we went walking again, finding Christmas markets, again, but I love Christmas markets, and then it started pouring. That said the markets were too good for me to miss so Eric escaped and I got to look around properly for hours. The Czech Republic is big on garnets and amber from Russia so I was pretty much set perusing the amazing jewellery everywhere - following I now have green amber to add to my jewels collection which I'm pretty excited about.

And then to the club last night, at one stage I lost my wallet, and next to thinking my passport was missing in Rome this has to be one of the worst experiences since I got here. Thankfully I found it in the end, but the thought of losing everything important in there freaked me out.

Thanks to Robbo I've been sampling some of the fine local brews over here and I think I have to agree with Nigel that Kosevice (I think its called) is top stuff. Definitely a convert.

And thats about me up to date. We'll probably head out on more adventures when everyone wakes up this arvo (it's 5pm, dark and cold right now) and then to Cesky Krumlov tomorrow.

So for now enjoy the sun for me (if it comes out) and I'll speak to you all again soon.

Jess

Tags: On the Road

 

Comments

1

Wow Jess,

This is GREAT... I have just been catching up on all your wonderful adventures. Seems like you have been having an amazing time over there. I certainly can understand your heart felt concern when you think you have lost all in your wallet. (That happened to me with my passport in Rome, or was it Paris.. hehehe I forget) But all was well, when I found it again. :-)

Keep well and stay safe. We are all thinking of ya.!! Continue to have an amazing time.
Cheers,
GlynnO
(The bass of the Reluctant Movement...)

PS. If the Earth were an Orange, it would be too small.

  Glynn (Eckles - The Rels) Dec 13, 2007 1:38 AM

2

Jess,
Do you remember me(obviously not)telling you that there are are no "On the spot fines" from train guards,that they are sneaky pricks just trying to make a quick easy $$ from tourists and the station staff will attempt to sell you used tickets for profit too.I found the Czech's the most miserable bastards Iv'e ever come across but their beer is excellent!!

  Dan from The Royal! Jan 31, 2008 9:21 PM

About jessiejames

Once again travelling - on the way to San Sebastian (not that you can see that)

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Czech Republic

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.