Existing Member?

Jess's Travels

The Start Up: Unemployed and Homeless

UNITED KINGDOM | Sunday, 5 May 2013 | Views [443]

Legends of Brockwell: Great Hair. Big Smile

Legends of Brockwell: Great Hair. Big Smile

 

 

Hi All,

So my new adventure has begun. I'm finally in London - unemployed and homeless, and doing my best to get that sorted soon. Otherwise comfortable bridge suggestions are welcomed (along with any cardboard boxes you might want to throw my way)...

I've met up with a couple of friends and seen a few new places (Greenwich, Leicester Square, Brixton, and Notting Hill) which is great because I've seen so little of London on my past couple of trips. Otherwise I've spent most of my time sitting on my bed, trawling through house ads and trying not to get square eyes. My first two nights were spent in Greenwich on the top floor of an amazing hotel where I looked out over the London skyscape but one can't live the high life forever...

So to change it up I'm now staying in a share house in Brixton with a couple of Slovenian students and two English guys - I'm getting into the whole council flat scene. Most importantly I'm right across the road from Brockwell Common - I've got to give you credit London, you do know how to do awesome parks in the middle of the city. My first day here I went out walking and found the common - a huge ex-estate with winding paths, lawns with people playing soccer, children learning to ride bikes, and squirrels... yes that's right there are squirrels. Sitting up on the hill you look out over London - a pretty peaceful antedote to sitting in a room on the computer all day. My favourite thing though, is that the common tells you a lot about English culture more generally... for instance the importance of having great hair, of being overtly polite just to make sure people know you aren't being rude, and the ability for it to sometimes actually appear like Spring when it's still cold enough to be winter in Australia.

So I'm still here, muddling through. And hopefully I'll actually be able to use this to keep everyone a bit more up-to-date now that I actually have a computer again! Meanwhile if you hear of anyone in need of a great housemate/employee send them my way - I'll be under that bridge :)

Ciao for now,

J

 

Tags: bridges, brockwell common, homeless, sun shines on london, unemployed

 

About jessiejames

Once again travelling - on the way to San Sebastian (not that you can see that)

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.