Existing Member?

A Cov bird set loose on the world!

Flight Q26

USA | Wednesday, 23 May 2007 | Views [489]

Our flight to New Zealand left LA on Tuesday evening and everything went smoothly. That was until about 10 minutes after takeoff we all felt this huge jolt, which was like when you drive over something in the road. Everyone looked a bit worried and you could feel the nerves in the air but after 30 seconds everyone forgot and carried on with their own business. About 20 minutes later the captain told us that there had been a problem with the engine and so we were going to have to return to LAX, but would have to spend an hour dumping fuel first. What he did not tell us was that the engine had exploded!!! Luckily I had put my window shutter down, if I had seen the fireball I would have totally freaked out! We were told later that a rotor blade had come loose and caused the damage. Least I can vouch now for the fact that planes can actually run with only one engine working. I tried to bury myself in my book to make time go faster otherwise I think it would have been the longest hour in my life. It was such a relief when we finally came into land and made it down safely. We had fire engines following us and everything.

 

Qantas put us up at a Hilton hotel for the night which was very nice and we were given food vouchers for the day to use in the hotel restaurant which was really nice so at least we got something from it. Though we weren’t given our bags back which was a pain, and I think I must have stank. I will now always take a spare pair of pants in my hand luggage whenever I take a plane, just incase. We were put on an Air New Zealand flight the next night so only ended up losing one day in NZ. This was definitely a life experience that I could have missed.

Tags: planes trains & automobiles

About jessiebiscuits


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.