Existing Member?

A Cov bird set loose on the world!

New Zealand - North Island

NEW ZEALAND | Wednesday, 23 May 2007 | Views [652] | Comments [4]

New Zealand, where do you start? NZ is the most amazing (apologises for using this word far too often, I need a new one) country. We’ve now travelled pretty much from one end to the other and everywhere you go there’s breathtakingly beautiful scenery and lots of outdoor and adrenaline fuelled activities to do. As you can probably tell from my pictures there are mountains, trees and some from of water everywhere, you can’t escape it. Yet still, it’s all different and everywhere offers you something new; from deep gorges and rapids to vast open lakes, roads that bend at ridiculous angles round huge mountain ranges to straight roads that go for miles over flat plains, lush forest to the barren desert road, and sun in the north to cold and snow in the south.

We landed in Auckland and after a brief trip up to the Bay of Islands in the north headed down the spine of the north island, and then down the western side of the south island. We didn’t stay long in Auckland. It doesn’t really compare as a city to San Fran and NZ is all about the outdoors after all so headed north after only one night. Paihia is the main town in the Bay of Islands, and like most places here “is a lot livelier in the summer”. Coming in the winter has its advantages in that we don’t have to book hostels in advance as nowhere is ever full and the prices are generally cheaper than the busy summer months. The downside is that there is no nightlife and everywhere is fairly empty but the silver lining of this is that we’ve saved money that we would have spent on getting drunk! In Paihia we went for a bike ride part way round the bay, tried to use the pool but it was freezing so opted for the much better option of the hot-tub, and went kayaking round the bay.

Next we headed south to Rotorua, slap bang in the middle of the north island and in the heart of the volcanic region, and boy did the place stink! Rotorua is famous for its natural hot springs and geysers and with this comes sulphur (you could see the stuff coming out of the ground all over the place) which basically just makes the whole town smell like rotten eggs. The first thing we did here was the skyswing and luge, which are on top of a mountain over looking the town. I’m so glad that I didn’t see anybody do the skyswing before we did or I don’t think I could have done it. It involved being strapped into a seat alongside Rich and pulled back and upwards about 150ft, at which point Rich had to pull a cord that released us and my god! We rocketed forward over the side of the mountain at a ridiculous speed (my stomach followed a couple of seconds behind) and then swung back and forth for a while. It was however great fun after I got over the shock and I’m glad I did it. I was a complete wimp on the luge at first and went at snails pace down the beginners track (in my defence it was a steep track). I was holding on so tightly that the handle bars made huge indents in my hands. I did however pull myself together and made it down the intermediate track on my other runs at a decent speed and enjoyed myself.

As Rotorua is supposed to be the best place in NZ to go white water rafting, that’s what we did. I was so scared at first because I don’t like going under water and there was a chance that the raft would flip going over the main waterfall. After our first waterfall I began to relax and it was so much fun. I was a bit of a wimp and couldn’t paddle as fast as the boys but it was all good. The main waterfall that we went down was 7m high (highest commercially rafted waterfall in the world or something) and it was the longest 3-4 seconds of my life. Thankfully the raft didn’t turn over but as we were in the very front of the raft the force pushed us under water, and though it was only for a second or two, it felt like forever.

About an hour south of Rotorua is Taupo, the skydiving capital or something. At least it claims to be the cheapest in the world or something. I’m afraid I did not skydive. I decided I didn’t want to do it on this trip but I would definitely do it if the opportunity arose again and I could spare the money; watching everybody else do it made it a lot less scary. Rich did skydive however and he said it was amazing. We went out on the town on the Saturday night which consisted of 2 bars and not much else. We did however see Vegas Brown. He sings and plays guitar and he was so good. He didn’t play the usual crap that pub performers come out with - anyone who can do rage against the machine acoustic is well worth seeing! Anyone going to NZ should really look him up.

We stayed in Wellington for a couple of days before our ferry ride over to the south island. Being a capital city there’s slightly more going on in Wellington, but we tried to go out on the Monday night and there was only one bar open and there were about 15 people in there, all backpackers. The Te Papa museum was really good and we got the cable car up the hill and walked back through the botanical gardens (all nice and free (cable car was $1) activities). When we were in the Te Papa Rich was trying to read something and someone walked in front of him so he looked up to say something to him and it was his friend Craig from Uni. Totally random! Rich didn’t even know Craig was travelling. We met up with Craig and his friends for our very quiet Monday night out.

Next we headed to the south island….

Tags: Adventures

Comments

1

Jess, great to hear from you... i was wondering where you'd got to! thought id reply to this one blog, rather than all three. glad to hear you're still having an amazing time... the plane incident however... :S i would have needed a spare pair of pants on the plane- let alone the over night stay!
I bet you're RLLY missing work arent you?! haha...
well, i cant talk as much as you as iv got nothing to say, so stay safe, be good and have fun!!
(im still waiting for my post card by the way!?!)
xxxx

  steve May 26, 2007 4:49 AM

2

Hi Jess
NZ sounds fantastic it sounds like your having a brilliant time. Chloe excited to speak to you on her birthday.
Speak soon.xxxxx

  Claire Brian Ben and Chloe May 26, 2007 8:52 PM

3

hi! you sound like you're having an amazing time and im so jealous! thankyou for my birthday email however am waiting for that postcard also! haha, alls good in sunny cov, been cold and rainy for ages now wonder where summer is but im off to cuba in couple of weeks so can fill you in on my travels soon! love you lots take care both
love sarah xxx

  sarah May 28, 2007 9:12 PM

4

YAY Jess! How action packed was this trip! Ah it sounds nice but quiet...will I be able to hack it for a year?! Miss you lots but so glad your having so much fun :) speak soon xxxxx

  Jennie Jun 12, 2007 9:02 PM

About jessiebiscuits


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.