Existing Member?

Ecuador volunteering 2012 So, raise lots of money to volunteer and trek through the stunning Ecuadorian Amazon. Easy right???

A bit about where I'll be.

UNITED KINGDOM | Saturday, 4 February 2012 | Views [1425]

Ecuador is the second smallest country in South America. Though it may be modest in size, Ecuador is one of the most species rich countries in the world and is deemed a 'megadiversity hotspot'. The secret to Ecuadors diversity lies in its unique geography comprised of the low lying west coast, the Andes mountain range and part of the amazon rainforest to the east.

Ecuador is a developing nation with over 70% of the population living below the poverty line (although this figure is much higher within indigenous communities).
Distinct problems in remote communities include education, malnutrition, sanitation and disease.
Despite this, the country still manages to be one of the friendliest and safest countries in South America. In 2007 Ecuador was listed as a safer place to live than the USA!

The small town of Misahualli will serve as base camp for much of my time in the rainforest, whilst every day I will take a canoe to much smaller remote communities where I will carry out the volunteering.
Misahualli is situated along the Napo river and is surrounded by dense jungle inhabited by indigenous local tribes.
The local monkeys (or monos as they are locally known) are a very popular attraction and have grown accustomed to the attention ecotourists shower on them.

After the rainforest I'll be off to Banos, a town in the andes situated between lush green peaks and a volcano. This blesses Banos with it's thermal springs - a welcome notion for a days relaxation after the toils of the jungle. After spending a single night in Banos I'll be off home again.

A map of ecuador showing the town of Misahualli in pink.

A map of ecuador showing the town of Misahualli in pink.

Tags: amazon, banos, ecuador, misahualli, monkeys

About jessicadale

Me during a back packing trip around Europe with Girl Guiding UK

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.