Existing Member?

The great OZ

Iluka, Ballina, Byron and Gold Coast

AUSTRALIA | Tuesday, 18 September 2007 | Views [2359]

Iluka Cont:

25th Aug 2007

It is still raining though we have decided to take a drive to Yamba today.

We drove down to Yamba Main beach and pool. Due to all the bad weather the beach water has gone very brown with mud and there is allot of foam all around, taking up all of the sand.

28th Aug 2007

It has now been sunny for a few days and everything has dried out.

We have spent a day out on the Clarence River and Luke caught a 63cm Flathead while I headed in to Yamba for to get our lunch. We have also walked along 10 Mile Beach; needless to say we did not make it the whole way. On the first day of sun we headed off to the Rain forest in Iluka that took us to Iluka Bluff, it was really beautiful and there were many birds to listen too.

Today we headed into Evans Head to check it out; we had lunch at the RSL and a 4X4 drive along Airforce Beach we were lucky to get quite close to an Eagle and drove along a group of Black Caped Tern’s. Tonight we went out on the water and watched a lovely sunset and the beginning of the Eclipse. I am still now popping in and out to look at the moon; Luke is not that interested and has gone to bed. I on the other hand think it is quite cool.

29th Aug 2007

Luke went for a fish this morning though had no luck. After lunch we headed back over to Yamba and then onto Angourie were we did over a 10km walk around Yaraygir National Park. First we stopped in at the Blue and Green Pools near Spooky Beach. The Blue pool is fresh water and looks man made even though it still has a dirt and clay floor and the Green pool is sea water, this pool is just a big hole in a rock on the headland.

The walk around the National park was great with very beautiful views. We even came across some wild life, some Wallabies and Eagles that were too fast to catch on film and two Echidnas, we were most impressed with them as we had never seen an Echidna in the wild before.

Ballina: South Ballina Beach Holiday Park (10 days)

4th Sep 2007

We have been in Ballina since the 30th August. The park we are staying at is at the tip of South Ballina just across the Richmond River from main Ballina. We are a few min walk to either the lake or the beach and there is also a 4x4 track onto the beach from the park. We have spent most days at the beach driving up and down chasing Salmon and just taking in what nature has to offer. South Ballina Beach runs from the break wall all the way to Evans Head, it is a long beach and we have not made it as far as the Southern end.

Luke has been out fishing in the river a few times though with no luck, we think the water is still too fresh from all the rain we had up here.

Yesterday we headed over on the car ferry to Ballina it only takes around 10mins to get there from where we are staying. We had lunch at the RSL; it was almost as big as Mona’s RSL with a new big gaming area down stairs and large entertainment and eating facilities upstairs. We both had our beef burgers with the lot (it’s become our standard out to lunch meal that we have once a week).

Today the weather has turned bad on us again and we have decided to stay in while it rains, hopefully it doesn’t hang around for too long.

15th Sep 2007

The rest of our time in South Ballina was wet and miserable and nearly turned us batty. We left in the rain and drove to more rain.

We really loved it at South Ballina and will defiantly go back there.

Byron Bay: Belongil Fields (4 days)

We got to Byron and waited for the rain to stop and to set up. The park that we stayed was not very nice though was the only park that would take dogs. Our first day we drove around town did some shopping and just watched a movie.

The next few days in Byron we had perfect weather and were able to do all the things we wanted.

Our second day we spent walking around town, Main Beach and up to the lighthouse. The lighthouse was great we also got to see some whales.

Our Third day we spent going out to Nightcap National Park & Whian Whian State Conservation Area. We did an eight Km loop walk from the top of Minyon Falls down to the bottom around Minyon Grass and back up to the top again. It was a great walk and though we didn’t see any wild life the forest containing rare and endangered plants was just beautiful.

We then drove through the Village of the Channon to the lush World Heritage rainforests of Terania Creek, we took a sorter walk there of just 1.4km to see the breathtaking Protester Falls, it was really something worth seeing.

Luke got quite mad that day as he and I did not realise how far out from Byron it was to go to see these waterfalls, we also took a few wrong tracks and got a flat tyre. So the next day I wanted to do some more exploring though Luke decided to stay home as it was all just a bit too much (and he wanted to work on the boat)

So on the fourth day I headed off up to Brunswick Heads, Mooball, Pottsville, Hastings Point and then to Bogangar/Cabarita Beach. It was really nice my favourite spot was Cabarita Beach it was really lovely there and I will defiantly go back.  On the way back down I stopped in at the famous Moo Moo Cafe at Mooball and had a huge double-decker burger it was really good. The cafe is situated in the petrol station though when you go out the back you would have no idea that you are on the highway. Out the back you look out to green fields and cows, there are chickens, roosters and bunny rabbits walking around at your feet, there is some great kid equipment for kids to play in and some goats that are enclosed by a small fence though you can go in to look at them. It really was a great experience even though I was on my own and if you ever go past it make sure you stop in.

From Mooball I drove Bangalow to walk around there very hip and funky stores and to take in the beauty of the farms and macadamia plantations.

Although Byron Bay itself is very busy and touristy it’s surrounding suburbs and towns are just lovely. It truly is where the bush and farms meet the sea; it is very surreal to be driving through farm land and to only be only 5 min from the sea and beautiful beaches.

18th Sep 2007

QUEENSLAND

SUFERS PARIDISE:  Runaway Bay Caravan Park (30 mins)

Yes we have finally stepped over the border and have left NSW though not completely as we are going to do a few trips back south to Nimbin, Tweed Heads, Kingscliff, Mount Warning (Wollumbin) Nation Park and Border Rages National Park.

We drove into Runaway Bay to find our caravan park in amongst units and tall buildings. When we drove in we could not even work out were the reception office was. Anyway long story cut short is that all the people there were freaks and the park looked like shit so we runaway, which was highly amusing considering the name of the suburb and caravan park.

SUFERS PARIDISE:  Gold Coast Holiday Park (2 weeks and 3 days)

After leaving the caravan park from hell we drove back out to near the Motorway to the only other park that will take dogs. It has turned out to be a lovely park and the people here are very nice.

We have been out fishing in the Broadwater and just hanging around relaxing. Luke’s parents arrived on Monday so that has been nice. They will be staying with us for at least the next three weeks as Bob will be going in the Flathead Classic with Luke and I.

Tags: Adventures

About jessicaandluke


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.