Existing Member?

The great OZ

Catch up

AUSTRALIA | Tuesday, 28 August 2007 | Views [1472]

Forster: Lani’s Caravan Park (7days)

Our first stop was Foster; we left home around 10 with Mel and Darbs waving us off. On our trip up we were even treated to a pod off dolphins playing around as we drove past Karuah.

We had been to Forster on a number of occasions before and have stayed at Lani’s a few times, so between fishing on Wallis Lake catching a few flathead (enough for most dinners) and a few crabs we spent our time just setting up and getting the few extra items we still needed.

On our last day we experienced a fair bit of rain, we had decided to purchase the walls to our annex. The plan was to buy them in QLD though with the weather being so cold and a BBQ galore up the road selling them we decided to make the purchase early.

We went out on our last night to see Matt Hill, it was our first time leaving Gremlin by herself for an extended period of time and she behaved beautifully. Unfortunately when we got back to our site we were welcomed with strong winds, torrential rain and our annex collapsed and all seams leaking. It was not a pleasant experience, though after a few tantrums and a lot of wishing we were back home, we got through the night and were lucky enough to be able to pack up the next morning and move onto our next destination.

Manning Point: Weeroona Holiday Park (7 days)

As difficult as it was packing up with everything wet, it was nice to get to this beautiful, extremely clean and well kept but very quiet park.  When we arrived there were only a very small handful of people staying there, I guess because it is a fair way off the highway and there is nothing there...One bowels club and one tiny store. It was very beautiful though and we were on the beach and next to the river.

We spent most days on the water in the boat and walking the beach.  The river was full of fish that we could see though catching them was not as easy as seeing them. Luke was able to catch us a few Flathead for dinner though that was it from the river; it enjoyed him to no end as we were able to see that many fish.

We drove the boat over to Harrington a few times and walked around, one day on our way back I sighted a snake in the water. It was huge and at fist I though it must be some sort of water snake though when we got closer it looked to be some sort of diamond python swimming from Manning point over to Harrington, it was very strange.

We were lucky enough to see dolphins most days off the beach catching waves and also in the river. They were always out in the surf every time Luke went for a fish, though moved on fairly quick so we were able to catch a few Tailors for dinners.

I really liked it at Manning point though Luke thought it was to quiet, it is defiantly somewhere we will go back too.

North Haven: Jacaranda Caravan Park (6 days)

Our stop at North Haven was to check out Port Macquarie and its surrounding suburbs as a possible place for us to reside after our trip. We explored south down to Diamond Head and up to the Northern end of Port. We found a place called Bonny Hills that is 20Km South from Port and we both fell in love with it, so the plan now is to move there when we get back.

North Haven was really beautiful, Luke spent most mornings out in the boat and I would walk with
Grem to meet him for lunch. We got a beach pass and had our first drive session on the beach. When we were not out on the water or driving around checking out the suburbs we did a few walks.

When we left North Haven we took a car ferry from Port Macquarie over to Plomers Road and drove the dirt tracks to our next destination.

South West Rocks: Rouse Family Home (4 days)

Our stay at the Rouse’s was really nice, Mel and Darb’s came up for the weekend and it was great to catch up with them and Darb’s Dad, Helen and the kids.

We went out 4x4 driving on the Saturday from the Rocks across the beaches to Crescent Head; it was a fabulous day with the sun out shining spending time with friends. At Crescent we had lunch from that great bakery with the best pies, I also treated myself to the most amazing vanilla slice for desert. We went for a walk up the headland and took a few photos; it was a lot of fun.

On the way back home we stopped in at some sand dunes for some fun 4x4 action, we all had great fun.

On the Sunday Dave took us out on the water down the Macleay River, it was really cold though we had great fun, Luke even spotted a platypus.

On Monday we attempted taking the boat outside and headed over to fish rock, unfortunately the weather was not on our side and after passing Green Island we had to head back home, we did manage to catch some Tailor though we only landed one of them.

The rest of our time at Darb’s dads was spent watching TV and relaxing, it was nice to be around some friendly faces.

Nambucca Heads: White Albatross Holiday Centre (7 days)

I wasn’t that keen on Nambucca at first, though after we went for a few walks and 4x4 on the beach I liked it quite a bit. Luke liked the water ways and spent a fair bit of time fishing.

The breakwall was very colourful with loads of art work and messages from people, Luke and I added to the wall by painting our own rock. The park that we stayed backed on to beaches and the breakwall so we did lots of walking.

We saw our first whale at Nambucca and plenty of dolphins. We had some great weather and on our last day I actually went for my first swim of the trip in the ocean, it was lovely.

Moonee Beach: Moonee Beach Holiday Park (9 days)

Moonee beach is around 10mins to Coffs Harbour. It was a beautiful spot that looked out onto Moonee creek, Moonee beach and to the South Solitary Islands.

We spent a bit of time in Coffs picking up some things (mainly fishing gear from Luke’s favourite fishing and tackle shop) we also attempted to go on another boat trip outside, though again we were forced to come back in due to bad weather.

We meet up with Tristan Edwards for a beer and lunch at the fishing club in town, it was great to catch up with Eddy and talk about our trip.

Luke spent a fair bit of time fishing in Moonee Creek catching many Flathead. We fitted in a few walks out on Moonee head land and a walk on Sapphire Beach, before the bad weather set in. It rained for three days (around 300ml) causing us to extend our stay from 7 to 9 days.

Iluka: Anchorage Holiday Park (7days)

We packed up in the rain at Moonee Beach and headed up north. When we got to Iluka the weather was quite nice, though before long it looked as though we had brought the rain with us and we ended up having to set up in the rain also.

Iluka is on the Northern side of the Clarence River mouth surrounded by golden beaches and Bundjalung National Park. Iluka has long been famous for fishing and serious anglers never visit without a frypan in the fishing gear. People also come to this beautiful coastal town to experience one of Australia’s rarest and most accessible rainforest remnants. The World Heritage listed Iluka Nature Reserve contains the largest remnant of littoral rainforest in NSW.

24th Aug 2007

With all the rain it has been father depressing and I have thrown many a tantrums. Though things are looking up and hopefully the weather will be fine again soon so that we can fit in some walks, fishing and sightseeing.

Luke attempted the water today, taking the boat out in between showers. There seems to be no fish to be caught due to all the rain the Clarence River Mouth seems to be to fresh (fresh water that is, Luke tasted it and said you could easily drink it).

Tags: On the Road

About jessicaandluke


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.