Existing Member?

Travelling the World - 2011

Volcano National Park, THE BIG ISLAND

USA | Saturday, 17 September 2011 | Views [266]

DAY 4: Today we entered the Volcano National Park ($10 entry / week, camping included).  After sussing out the main camping site (more amenities, full, school groups on day-trips), we drove down the 'Chain of Craters Road', stopping off to walk the 1.6km Kipaku Puaulu trail, apparently a 4000 year old rain forest (perhaps going through a not so rain forest stage?).  We then stopped for the 'Lava Tube' loop trail where about 40% of the trail leads you through an old lava tube, very cool! *A lava tube is where the lava flowing down the mountain begins to cool on the surface, and in sections, leaving a straw for the hot lava to flow through beneath the surface.  When the lava eventually stops flowing, the straw is drained at the bottom, leaving a hollow tube.*

The secondary campground was great - it was in the centre of the VNP, with only 1 other small group of friendly campers. THERE WERE SO MANY STARS!

DAY 5: Today we walked along the Kilauea Iki Trail (A 6km loop walk, through lush rain forest on the craters rim, down and over its still steaming crater floor, 1,180m above sea level).

This was defiantly the most amazing walk so far!

This Volcano last erupted on 14th November 1959 and began when a "curtain" of lava burst from a 0.8km long crack in the crater wall.  Within a day, multiple vents along the crack consolidated into one main vent, erupting!!  The eruption lasted for 5 weeks.

During the eruption, blobs of molten rock up to 1 meter diameter shot across the crater and landed where we were walking along the path on the edge of the rain forest, where a whole section of the path has slightly different trail surface - lumpy black volcanic rock.

Walking across the crater, past the steam vents was amazing!

Photos might help describe...

Tags: chain of craters road; volcano national park; tro

 

About jennifermuller


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.