Existing Member?

Travelling the World - 2011

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, USA

USA | Monday, 17 October 2011 | Views [502]

After flying into Miami on the 5th October, we caught the tri-rail train North to Fort Lauderdale to place ourselves in a good position for the biggest boat show in the world! - To be held at the end of the month.  99% of the yachts here are MONSTROUS motor cruises, looking for deck hands to polish all day and stewardesses to serve beverages - not quite what we are after, however still interesting to see how big a 'small' boat can be (120ft is considered to be a very small boat).

It is now the 17th October.  For the past 2 weeks, all I have done is edit my resume 100 times, buy some clothes for job interviews (I look very smart!), go to job interviews, and walk around the town for hours each day purely for exercise and to keep my mind stimulated.  Fort Lauderdale is just another city.

There are lots of weird people here, and I cant even fill up a rental car with fuel without needing help... Sam read a Bill Bryson book a few months ago.  He said that travelling was like being a toddler again... you cant communicate with people and have no idea how things work, or why!!

Strange things:

- When it rains, everyone drives with their emergency lights flashing.

- EVERYONE is texting when driving, even when driving a semi trailer, reaching for a clipboard, changing the radio station and talking on the phone..... ahh! Its almost scary to walk along the main road.

- Chocolate... hhmmmm.....

- The fire truck sirens sound like dying cats.

There are lots of funny or scary things that have happened in the past couple of weeks, I just cant think of them right now (its 3am).

We have also made a lot of good friends, had some fun nights out, walked along the beachfront with ice-cream, walked for hours along man-made inlets and enjoyed cocktails on the beach.

We have hired a rental car for a few days to start exploring further afield - this is why I am awake at 3am - ITS EXCITING!!

The plan is to head to Antigua at the end of the month, in the hope of finding work.  Antigua looks like a great place for us, and I really cant wait!  It is more relaxed, less people, and lots of sailing boats.

How is everyone going at home?  Please feel free to send an email (jenny_muller@hotmail.com) :-)

Lots and lots of love xoxoxox Jenny.

About jennifermuller


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.