Existing Member?

Travelling the World - 2011

Sand Island, OAHU

UNITED STATES OUTLYING ISLANDS | Saturday, 3 September 2011 | Views [289]

We caught TheBus #19 to the Sand Island Access Road, then walked for 1.5hrs through a massive industrial estate containing a poo farm, waste management centre, scrap yards - you get the idea - to our camp ground.

It was like camping on the Port Adelaide River, only instead of pubs and dolphins there was rubbish and the smell of poo.

The campsite was full of massive tents - you could call them mar-quays - accompanied by a flag and a huge generator to run their sound systems, lights and fridges.  Our little 2 man tent was hard to spot.

With only rice to cook, but no cooking device, we walked for an hour back into town for the cheapest dinner we could find.  It was a nice evening for walking, around 25deg.c with a light breeze.

We were kept up until around 3am with the parents celebrating the first day of their Labor Day Weekend, and woken at sunrise with the kids throwing balls over our tent.  I was still in a very good frame of mind, and enjoying being on holiday.

Tags: beach, camping, industrial, walking

 

About jennifermuller


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about United States Outlying Islands

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.