Existing Member?

Travelling the World - 2011

Waikiki, OAHU

UNITED STATES OUTLYING ISLANDS | Friday, 2 September 2011 | Views [454]

White Sands Hotel, Waikiki OAHU

White Sands Hotel, Waikiki OAHU

DAY 1:

We caught a $9 bus from the airport and managed to drive around each block atleast twice, taking about 2 hrs to get to where we were staying.  Think of it as a long and thorough tour of Waikiki.

All of the backpackers appeared to be booked out, until we found Pacific Ohana, so we grabbed the non-refundable room, only to discover it was completely infested with bed bugs! Ahh!!! Neither of us put our bags down.

We walked out, and down the road to White Sands Hotel.. no other backpackers were available.  You would think, being the only place almost completely vacant we might have been suspicious, but.. no.  We learnt the hard way on day 1.  The hotel was very nice.

DAY 2:

Today we hired out surf boards at Waikiki Beach and surfed to 2 hrs.  The small, gentle waves were perfect for a long board.  For the second hour we had 1 board between us, and managed to catch a wave together.. it was so much fun!

After returning to the hotel in the afternoon, we both discovered we were incredibly SUN BURNT! :O

4pm the Farmers Markets opened, where we bought lots of fresh fruit and veg - all of the vegetables are different shapes here, the eggplants are long and as thick as a finger.

Beers & pasta for dinner on our hotel balcony, followed by an icy cold shower to nurse the sun burn.. ouch!

Tags: beaches, bed bugs, markets, sun burn, surfing

 

About jennifermuller


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about United States Outlying Islands

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.