Existing Member?

Welcome Jenny Teacher! "The reward is the journey"

Sparkling Like a Star in Our Hand

SOUTH KOREA | Thursday, 15 September 2011 | Views [652] | Comments [1]

How can you capture the beauty of a picture perfect sunset?
And how can you describe it?
Well, it's moving, it's incredible, it is indescribable.  A sunset, a sunrise - what a perfect, happy occasion it is to witness eiter.  
Yesterday, on our first day back after the Chuseok long weekend, my teacher director scolded me for not practicing conversation with my afterschool kids, but rather let them play while I busied myself planning for more of my through-the-week lessons.
MacKenzie caught me by surprise when she said, and I believe these were her specific words "you are not organized enough! These parents are paying a lot of money.  You must practice conversational English with them"  
So much for my thinking after school was more so just babysitting.
And just like that my Korean 'dis-organization' became completely apparent.
Since arriving here in Korea about one month ago, I have inhaled a fresh, revitalizing breath of air.  
I have been surrounded with new people, new sights, new foods and far too many headphones and Ipads. I have tasted tried the most fantastic Korean bbq's paired with steaming hot tofu soups, rice bowls and unique vegetable dishes.  
From the beautiful and kind agimas to the giggles and smiles from the small kids in my classes, I continue to live and love it all.
Here I am just another Canadian gal living among millions of Koreans in a superbly organized Asian society.  I am here, on my own, to learn from my mistakes and to discover all that I am capable of achieving within a one year term.  I am here because my heart said go and that is how I live my life.
One thing that I must make totally clear for everyone is that this country is not all perfect and organized all the time.  I would say that disorder and chaos was my classroom before I began arrived this past August.  And, certainly, you'd think Koreans would have mastered the whole organized garbage disposal routine by now.  Nope. Not here in Seoul - truly and utterly messy.  Chucking everything on the ground in a large pile with little to no care if the bag is tied up properly... just doesn't make a ton of sense to me.  
Well, ANYWAYS.  Moving on from that.  I always thought I was organized, but in Seoul, Korea I begin to contemplate the true definition of the word.  
Can organization exist within the mind and differ in the way you live your life?  Does obsessive or 'over'organization take away from creative expression and spontanaeity?  
Another question I will pose is this.  What makes a rewarding job and what makes individuals yearn to be in the place they return to each and everyday?
There are some people out there who simply detest the work they do.  And to anyone who falls under that bracket I say this:
Begin doing what you want to do now.
We have only this moment, 
sparkling like a star in our hands - and melting like a snowflake.
~Marie Beyon Ray
Be yourself,
be wild,
be free.
The position of 'Thematics kindergarden teacher' I have been so graciously given by Bambini.  It is a challenge that I know I can enjoy because of the influence I have over many small minds.  Personally, I'd rather be at SEED Junior Academy in the Kibera slumbs because while there at least I know the children I am surrounded by are truly appreciative of every little thing that comes their way.  But, until then, my role is a teacher - that is precisely what I have come to Korea to be. I have the best interest of the thirty-five some-odd students who sit like dry sponges before me ready and willing to soak up the knowledge I will provide.
You want organization?
Alright, no problem...
As my wise friend Diana would say:
"Shine on you crazy diamond".
Lots of love always,
Jenny
 

Comments

1

Amen to that Jenny. Pink Floyd is beginning to be much better understood after reading your heartwarming message.
Shine on indeed you crazy diamond. You are amazing and very fondly thought of.
Joe

  Joe Sep 16, 2011 12:46 AM

About jennifer


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about South Korea

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.