Existing Member?

Dreamland Hey all... this blog contains updates of my stay in beautiful South America :) Que disfruten!

Grubs.

ECUADOR | Thursday, 3 April 2008 | Views [520]

Hellooooooo!!

I'm sorry that I haven't gotten a chance to write for so long, but I haven't really had time!! The second I got back from Spring Break I was assigned projects and papers and tests galore (hooray), so I've been pretty occupied with all of that jazz.

Well anyway, I suppose I should start at the beginning. So for the majority of break, myself and three friends went to this smaller but rapidly expanding town called Santo Domingo to do volunteer work at a clinic called “Hombro a Hombro,” which works with the impoverished population in town. The clinic was tiny; it consisted of a waiting room, a doctor's office, a dentist's office, a small office for files, and a vaccination room. The cost of services there were incredible: two dollars to get a cavity filled, three to get a tooth pulled (and yes, they used anesthetics). As volunteers, we painted the waiting room (which used to be a brownish color, and not because the paint was brown) white, helped the clinic catch up on their filing system for their 3,000 patients or so, and I got to work as a dental assistant!! Although I knew I was being a big help and felt great about that, the experience also made me realize how much I do NOT want to be a dentist. Some of the work I did was just fine: cleaning tools, making filling out of copper powder and mercury, handing the dentist what she needed (simple busy work stuff). However, I also had to do some not-so-amazing stuff. Liiiike, holding screaming children down to the dentist chair. I don't think I've ever done anything so cruel in my life. It was down-right depressing. But I was saving their teeth, so I suppose it was a good deed, right?? Well there's not much more to say about the volunteering, it was pretty much the same each day (with the exception of working with different patients), so I guess I'll continue on.

We stayed with a doctor from Kentucky named Rich, along with his wife Rita (Laura, a friend I came with, knows them from home) in Santo Domingo. They are both retired, and figured they would do something exciting with their lives since they didn't know what else to do, so decided to come to Ecuador to volunteer for 2 years, and of course, learn Spanish!! They were very accommodating and adorably funny, and made really good food!! So our stay with them was very enjoyable, we had a great time chatting and listening to Rich play the guitar as we sang along =)

So now for the other random happenings of Santo Domingo (we didn't volunteer the WHOLE time, it was Easter weekend, after all). So the day before Easter we went to a festival of the Tsachilas, or the Colorados, which is a group of the last aboriginal people in Ecuador. The festival was really cool; the people of the little community were dressed in traditional attire, did dances, had contests for the best dressed, and had a bunch of little stands where they sold crafts and clothing. They also of course were sold quite a bit of food. At one point during the festival, we got our picture taken for a newspaper (yes, I was in a very well-known Ecuadorian newspaper!!), and afterwards, a man that was in the picture with us invited us to go get something to eat with him. We figured why not, so began walking past the food stands, until we came across a stand selling fried grubs. Yes... juicy, greasy, fat, and as about as long as my pointer finger grubs. YUM. As we stood there with disgusted expressions on our faces, we started drawing attention (I always thought American grub eaters were pretty interesting, too?). Pretty soon there was a group of people all urging us to eat the grubs (although many of the Ecuadorians standing there had never eaten one themselves, and were appalled at the idea of even touching one). So, after watching the lady preparing the grubs skewer the squirming worms onto skewers for about 15 minutes and then watching them cook alive on a grill, we asked her for one of the skewers and each pulled one off. On the count of three, we all took our first bites of grub. Now, you're probably all disgusted right now, but hoping that I'm going to say that they were actually good. But I'm not. They really were bad. And extremely greasy. The really gross part is, that when I took a bite, the skin of the grub wouldn't really rip, so I had to pull it really hard with my teeth. In the process of doing this, I also ended up squeezing the grub more, which made all of it's insides ooze out.... into my mouth. Haha. I can imagine the looks on some of your faces right now, and it makes me smile. I apologize for disgusting you, but this adventure couldn't be left out of my email. So anyway, let's just say we didn't eat any more grubs... although everyone insisted that if you put lemon and salt on them, they are better!! I didn't want to try it. I knew they were lying, anyway.

So the day after the festival and grubs was Easter. We decided to be bold about our church-going for the day, and got up at 2:00 in the morning to go to this apparently very beautiful sunrise service at a church run by a little German community outside of Santo Domingo. The church was indeed very pretty. The service was mostly in Spanish, but there was also a little Latin and German mixed in, and it lasted from 3:30 until 6:30. I was proud that I didn't fall asleep. Later that day, we went to a nice botanical garden, eating fruit from the trees as we walked, and trying to play with the random parrots and monkeys. It was very relaxing.

So after our stay in Santo Domingo, three of us continued on to a little town surrounded by a cloud forest called Mindo. We went to a butterfly farm, saw lots of hummingbirds (Mindo is known for its butterflies and hummingbirds), and went on many adventures. First of all, we went zip-lining over the jungle. We were given harnesses and helmets, and then taken around to 13 different zip-lines to fly hundreds of feet over the trees. It was so cool!! You could also do tricks while on the long zip-lines with a guide. One of the tricks was called Superman, which is where your belly faces the ground and you can spread out your arms and “fly.” The other trick, called Mariposa, or Butterfly, is where you wrap your legs around the guide and then flip upside-down while flying through the air. Although they were pretty uncomfortable, the tricks were soooo much fun!!

After zip-lining, we walked a little ways to get to this cage-like thing called the Tarabita, which brought us from one side of the jungle to the other on a cord. After being abandoned on the other side of the jungle and being told to just wave when we wanted to come back (can you say sketchy?? I guess that's Ecuador for you though), we took off for the six waterfalls that we could hike to from the drop-off of the Tarabita. The waterfalls were all gorgeous, and we even got to swim in one of them!! The water could not have been more perfect. After we had had our taste of waterfalls in Mindo, we went back to our hostel, put on dry clothes, and went to celebrate my birthday with a brownie =) It was a great day.

The next day, and our last day in Mindo, Laura and I decided we wanted to go white-water rafting. So we went to a rafting place, were given life jackets and helmets, and put in a car to bring us to our starting point. Now one thing you have to know about Ecuadorian rafting... is that it's not really anything like American rafting. Instead of having a pretty yellow tube to sit on with paddles, instead, the raft is made up of about seven of those black ghetto inner tubes, which are tied together with a rope. You don't get a paddle either, you just kind of sit on a tube, and hold on for dear life to the ropes that are holding your “raft” together. The guides do all of the work; there are two guides, one on each side of the raft. They basically do everything they can to push and pull the raft in the directions they want the raft to go while running along the bottom of the river or using the rocks sticking out of the river to grab onto. It was one of the most amusing things I've ever done in my life... and the guides even picked us flowers... WHILE going down the rapids. I was impressed.

So this is pretty much all of my past couple weeks in a nutshell. I've also posted LOTS of pictures (of Cayambe, the volcano I climbed before break, as well as Santo Domingo and Mindo)!!! Yes, I love you all THAT much!!

So now I suppose I should go study, since I won't have time this weekend!! I'm going to the coast!! Wooohoo!! Oh, and here are the pictures:

Cayambe:
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2369544&l=8b5c4&id=8630239

Santo Domingo:
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2369554&l=ece35&id=8630239

Mindo:
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2369600&l=bd194&id=8630239

I hope you all enjoyed!! Miss you all tons!
Huuuugs, Jenna

About jennaanne


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Ecuador

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.