Existing Member?

Living the Dream My travel journal to help keep friends and family up to date with where I am in the world.

Barcelona - What a nightmare!

FRANCE | Thursday, 17 August 2006 | Views [478]

The day we were due to leave Madrid we awoke early (about 9am or so) so we could get to the train station for the 10:00am train. We had heard we had to book a ticket so we were being hopeful. Needless to say we missed that train and the one after (which was full) and finally boarded at about 4:30pm. We did however travel in style and got served meals - airline style.

We got to the hostel in Barcelona at about 11:30pm and found we were in a 14 share with a german couple and ten french girls (not much different to the mix in Madrid either;-). Took a tour of the Nou Camp (where Barcelona FC play) the next day and went and saw the La Grada Familia (the really weird looking Gaudi designed cathederal) which is still being built.

Had an all nighter clubbing and experianced walking down the main street - La Rambla - at various times of the night and it is an experiance. You can get anything on that street if you know what I mean!

From there on Barcelona didn't go so great as Adam had his wallet stolen the next day and we spent the arvo at the police station and the night trying to cancel his credit cards etc. We still attempted to go out but as we were walking towards a particular club we were going to the heavens opened and we were soaked with no place to take cover. Checked out the beach the next day but it has nothing on the Gold Coast.

Spent most of the day after at the train station trying to book our train ticket out of spain to Nice. After queuing for about 1 hour and three quarters we were told that there were no seats available the following day so we had to take a late regional train to the french border then wait an hour for a faster train to take us to Montpellier in France. Unfortunately when we got there at about 9:30pm there was no connections through to Nice until about 5:30am the next morning! We booked into a hotel to get a few hours sleep and got up for that train which brought us into Nice at about 10:30am the day after we were meant to get in.

Nice is much nicer than Barcelona anyway although still no white sand like home. I have already booked my seat to Cinque Terra on Saturday and Adam flys to the UK on saturday so I will be on my own travelling down the Western coast of Italy and up the Eastern coast of Croatia.

Tags: Misadventures

 

 

Travel Answers about France

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.