Existing Member?

Quite simply

Driving in the City of Angels...

USA | Wednesday, 11 August 2010 | Views [72]

HERE’S a tip when travelling to Los Angeles, hire a car and drive.

As a regular visitor to the City of Angels, I find driving a great way to explore the city and its surrounds. And don’t let the thought of driving on the infamous LA freeways stop you, for they are not as scary as you may think. Signage is good and quite easy to follow, particularly if you know what direction you wish to travel. The freeways are labelled numerically and by direction, which makes getting around quite easy. For instance, the 405 North will take you North whereas the 405 south will indeed take you south – simple.

With the fundamentals of navigating the LA freeways taken care of, it’s time for the fun stuff – hiring the car. Remember you are in LA and the opportunity to travel in style is there for the taking, depending on your budget, but the car hire companies are willing to negotiate on price if a particular car takes your fancy.

On one of my recent trips a little haggling had me cruising Hollywood Boulevard in a sleek black Hummer, which was fitting as while driving this infamous road I found myself caught up in a media frenzy courtesy of the latest Terminator movie premiere. With red carpet laid out and barricades in place, super sized limos were lined up outside the Kodak Theatre depositing the beautiful. For a moment I thought they mistook my black Hummer with tinted windows and a mysterious air as containing someone of interest, but no, I was waved on without thought.

Whilst driving the Hummer through the LA streets was fun, it was the car I scored on my latest trip that afforded me the biggest buzz to date.

Having decided we wanted to drive north to Santa Barbara, on arrival at Enterprise car hire, my friend and I were given the choice of hiring either a red Dodge or a silver convertible Mustang.

No prizes for guessing which one we chose and within the hour we were racing past the traffic on the 405 north in the carpool lane.

Now here is another tip, the traffic on LA freeways can be a nightmare, but if there are at least two of you travelling, use the carpool lane. Why more LA residents don’t utilise this opportunity is beyond me. It’s amazing how many people travel solo and end up being continually stuck in the manic traffic gridlock.

As we headed to Santa Barbara we left the 405 and changed to the 101 north. We did this without incident and found ourselves cruising the freeway with the roof down, while Bob Segar crooned about his love of Hollywood nights.

From LA proper the 101 carves through the hills framing the Los Angeles basin and eventually hugs the coastline. This route is a pleasure to drive, even if you don’t have the luxury of a convertible.

After a few hours exploring the sights of Santa Barbara we were headed back to our base at Long Beach when the Mulholland Drive turnoff caught our eye. As this road is home to many famous people, an exploration of this area beckoned. But instead of Mulholland, a wrong turn had us navigating the Mustang around the winding Topanga Canyon Boulevard through the Santa Monica Mountains. Being late afternoon on a clear spring day the view we were afforded was nothing short of spectacular. We chose to take advantage of a lookout which offered the opportunity to stop and further take in the view of Los Angeles and its surrounds without fear of plummeting off the road into a rocky canyon below.

Our unexpected exploration of the mountains ended when Topanga Blvd deposited us onto the Pacific Coast Highway (PCH), just north of Santa Monica.

Being familiar with this area and knowing the car did not have to be returned until the morning, we decided a stroll along the famous Santa Monica Pier followed with dinner and drinks on Third Street Promenade was on the agenda.

On-street parking is not a problem, we easily found a place for our Mustang to rest one block from the pier and two blocks from the Promenade.

Although the pier is a famous landmark on the LA coastline and worth a visit because of its history, it is very touristy and a little tacky. I found pelicans dive-bombing into the Pacific for their supper a more appealing way to pass the time.

From the pier walk 3 blocks inland to Third Street Promenade where a myriad of shops and restaurants await your patronage. With stomachs rumbling we settled on dining at Bravo, a quaint looking Italian restaurant. A good Pinot Grigio accompanied by a delicious serving of Bruscetta as local buskers serenaded us in the relaxed atmosphere was just what the doctor ordered.

As night descended, fairy lights illuminated the tree lined promenade and created a wonderful ambience. To walk off our meal, we wandered past shops such as Abercrombie & Fitch, American Eagle, Gap, H&M and Victoria’s Secret.

Without the luxury of a car, we would not have had the opportunity to experience LA as we did, so when you are next in LA, drive. And if you do happen to find yourself a little lost, stay positive as you could find yourself having more fun than expected.

Tags: los angeles, on the road

About jenhammer


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.