Existing Member?

Quite simply

Giant Redwoods

USA | Wednesday, 11 August 2010 | Views [42]

A rush of suffocatingly hot air took us by surprise as we opened the sunroof. A quick glance at the temperature gauge on the dash of our rental car explained all. Outside in the Californian countryside the mercury was hitting 110 degrees or approximately 45 degrees Celsius. To say it was hot was an understatement. It was damn hot!

Flicking the sunroof switch soon strangled the oppressive heat, and in its wake, nothing but cool, air-conditioned comfort soon made our drive to the Sierra Nevada Mountains refreshingly pleasant.

About a 3 hour drive from Los Angeles the route to the park is diverse and interesting.  Seemingly endless straight highways give way to winding narrow roads that hug rocky terrain on one side and thrashing rivers on the other.

As we drive deeper into this untouched wilderness, leaving the concrete jungle and maze of freeways that dominate the Los Angeles landscape, the feeling of isolation and relaxation is paramount.

Deep within the Sierra Nevada’s live giant Redwood trees that are said to be among the oldest living species on the planet.  Visiting these giants was the main reason for our journey into the mountains and as I stood with the 80-metre giants whose life had spanned over 2000 years, I felt at peace. Their gentle stillness quieted my senses and allowed me to rest my mind from the rigours of life. The immensity of their being protective and comforting, there was no need to speak in their presence.

Tags: driving

About jenhammer


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.