Existing Member?

European Adventure

Gloucestershire: Cheese Rolling

UNITED KINGDOM | Wednesday, 10 June 2009 | Views [321] | Comments [1]

Wow, what a crazy event! Stace and I decided to take a tour bus to Cheese Roling. But that did involve getting up early but it meant arriving early and we got quite a good spot to watch. Gloucestershire is about 3 hours from London. Initially, Stace thought she might participate but once she saw the hill she quickly changed her mind! Pictures don't really capture how steep the hill is. To explain what happens. People nominate to go in each race, about 15, some who are dressed up. They start at the top of the hill and someone lets go of the wheel of cheese. The aim is to be the first person to the bottom of the hill, if you are you get the wheel of cheese. But its not any old hill, its steep, slippery and has huge pot holes. Nearly everyone who participates gets injured. There were numerous times when races couldn't continue because the ambulance hadn't got back from the hospital. All for some cheese! Some silly people decided to climb up the trees to get a good view, except unlucky for one person they fell out and had to be taken to hospital. A crazy but fun day!

Comments

1

Sounds brilliant! Do you have any photos of it that you are going to post on your blog?

  stowaway Jun 11, 2009 4:59 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.