Existing Member?

Ski USA We're off to Steamboat - 7,000 feet up in the Colorado Rockies, nestled quietly below one of the largest ski mountains in North America, sits a small ranching community that serves as a constant reminder that the Old West is alive and well. Yahooooo!

Powder, Powder Everywhere...& more coming!!!

USA | Tuesday, 9 January 2007 | Views [670] | Comments [4]

Sorry we have been a bit slow getting the next update out but we have been totally distracted by these beautiful mountains and the incredible powder snow everywhere. Here is the latest update:

Weather

Lots of snow dumped down on Thursday, Friday and Saturday. Temperatures were between -15 and -20 and there was an avalanche on one of the main roads into Denver that swept 2 cars off the road. Denver and surrounds also had winds between 70 - 120 miles (not km) per hour!! Now before you all start worrying - we have been tucked away in Steamboat - very cold but no winds and no problems with avalanches.

Skiing/Snowboarding

Jackson and Vaughan had 2 days of lessons - mainly to sharpen their skills and to get to know the mountain trails - neither have skiied anything this big before. They are now keen experts and have got to know a few kids in their class and usually meet up with us for lunch on top of the mountain.

Loretta - I have found the perfect spot for us girl! You can ski all the way down the mountain on beautiful green runs in lovely powder snow. I did a 5km run yesterday - sky was blue, no wind and most importantly I did not get out of my skis once and walk down any scary bits! Check out the pics to see how beautiful the trails are.

Fire Alarms:

We were all getting ready for bed the other night, around 11pm, when the hotel's fire alarm started blaring combined with a loud voice telling us to leave the hotel.  A little daunting as it was about -20 outside and snowing.  We decided to hang about in the lobby till they told us what was happening - only a busted sprinkler on one of the floors thankfully and 20 mins later back to our rooms.  I have included a pic of the boy's reaction - check out Al's emergency attire. 

Other Stuff:

We have the most amazing large outdoor heated pool with 2 jacuzzis - it is the weirdest feeling sitting outside in the jacuzzi with the snow coming down and the temp at about -20. On one of the coldest nights Al and Vaughan's hair froze while they were in the pool!

Boys have a joint message this update - Steamboat is Powder Cool and wanted to let their brothers, cousins and friends know that they are snowboarding all day in the best snow of their lives...(rubbing it in I think).

Al's conference has started and we all went down to the opening night last night. We have met up with some friends from Newcastle who own a property here - (they come here every year!) We are off to Mexican with them tonight to enjoy more of the local cuisine.

Four more days and then off to Vancouver - big snow predicted for Thur, Fri and Saturday so we are hoping we will be able to fly out from Denver on Saturday morning.

I have uploaded a few more pics for you to check out.

Tags: Snow

Comments

1

Looks wonderful, and I don't even like skiing! Would liked to have seen Vaughan's frozen hair, wonder if it would break if you touched it, that would have been one way of getting a hair cut!!!!!!! Glad to know you're all having a great time.

  KIM AND MARK Jan 9, 2007 2:44 PM

2

looks like u guys are havin an awesome time over in steam boat, hehe i am jealous.
hey jen just tell vaughn that if they are sellen season 10 of stargate, get it, we can buy 9 over here.

well keep haven a good time guys

chow

  Rhys Jan 9, 2007 4:48 PM

3

Wow! Wow! Wow! Am I TOO OLD to learn to ski????
Everything sounds fabulous (except the avalanche. winds and fire alarms) Would have loved to see Al and Vaughan's popsicle hairdo - where was our Jack boy?
Keep on enjoying yourselves

  MUM Jan 10, 2007 10:36 AM

4

That will save a hair cut ready for school, but bit worried how Al's may look. Think the photos of Als evacuation attire are fabulous to say the least but suggest he try and match his handbag to his shoes next time in the name of good fashion sense. Printed off some of the photos and took them up to Stan. He was quite impressed and is doing ok. Was very happy to see us and bit teary when we left but that is to be expected. Will try and get up again to see him early in the week.Carol is visiting every day. Have a ball guys, stay safe and I think we may have to start saving up to join you ready for next year. Sounds great! xxxxxxxx

  Shane & Michelle Jan 13, 2007 9:52 PM

About jen_and_the_boys

Just after we arrived - view  leaving Steamboat airport

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.