Existing Member?

The Adventures of Jennifer

July 11th - Pisac

PERU | Wednesday, 21 July 2010 | Views [329]

After a major workout from Machu Picchu, I was looking forward to a day of relaxing at Pisac.  Pisac is another town with ruins, but on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Sundays, they have the Pisac market where different vendors will set up shop on the streets.  Our plan was to go check out the Pisac ruins real quick, then spend our afternoon exploring the market.  Man...our plan failed miserably and we didn't know what we actually signed up for.  

When we arrived to Pisac, we took a car ride up to the ruins.  The driver said he can either meet us back at that area to take us back down to the market, so we can walk through the ruins and head back down the other way and he'll pick us up halfway.  We figured that we didn't want to backtrack, so we said to meet us halfway down.  After seeing Machu Picchu the day before, the Pisac ruins was amazing, but it just wasn't comparable.  We started to make our way down and at some point, we must've gotten lost and missed a turn, because we ended up hardcore trekking it all the way down to the market! We were literally on the side of the mountain making our way down. It took us forever!  I'm lucky that I was with my roomies since Jamie is a marine vet and Marisa is an outdoor junkie. Yes, I was definitely the turtle of the group. 

By the time we got down to the market, we didn't have much time left to explore the market before it closed.  We were starving and we ate at the Blue Llamas.  For a 3 course menu, it was only 20 Soles! About $7! All the employees were fixed on the TV watching the World Cup.  It's interesting how some of them were rooting for Spain because of the shared language, while others were against them because of the historical colonization. 

The Pisac market is definitely a place I would go back to again, but I'll keep the ruins next time.

 

 

Travel Answers about Peru

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.