Existing Member?

The Adventures of Jennifer

July 5th & July 6th

PERU | Wednesday, 7 July 2010 | Views [331] | Comments [6]

Hola! 

Thank you guys for all your emails! =) Please feel free to comment on here so that I at least know I have some readers.  Gracias!

July 5-I went to my orientation at the Maximo office.  There are sooo many people here!  Besides volunteers from all over the world, there are other people here just to study Spanish combined with some adventurous tours.  There are also local Peruvians of all ages studying English here.  To my fam/friends in the health field: There are many volunteers here such as medical students! I think you guys would love it here.

I went to El Molino, which is an area where you can buy bootleg DVD´s/CD´s, electronics, clothes, etc.  We also stopped by the San Blas area, which is know for its artisan stores and atomsphere.  The taxi ride up there was scary! Just like in Asia and other places, pedestrians do not have the right of way. The smog is so bad here and it´s exhausting just walking from place to place because I´m constantly trying not to get hit by a car. The good thing about the taxis here are that they don´t charge by distance.  It´s about $1 for the fare.

As for the weather here, it´s hot in the day, and freezing at night.  And it´s so dry, and the smog doesn´t make it any better. Can´t wait to breathe some fresh air at Machu Picchu.

July 6-I was scheduled to be taken to my placement location today.  I was so excited to get started! Turns out, the office made a mistake...I don´t start until Tuesday because today is Teachers´ Appreciation Day, so the schools were closed. =( I´m so bummed! But one of the coordinators still took me up there just so I know where it is.  I have to travel by bus (which is a ghetto 15 passenger van, sardine style) and the school is up in the cuts! So tomorrow, I will have to go on my own...hopefully I´ll get there and back ok. Yikes!

That´s all for now.  Also, please keep my grandma in your thoughts.  She is back in the hospital in Taiwan and is struggling. 

Hasta luego.  I´ll post pictures next time.

Always,
Jen

Comments

1

Sounds like adventure with that bus ride to school! Keep the stories coming!

  Alex Jul 8, 2010 2:04 PM

2

Sounds soo awesome..enjoy the ghetto parts! That's wat makes the experience so real and memorable (but of course it'll be nicer to look back on the time when u were packed in a van like a sardine than while u r actually going through it). Be safe Jen! Can't wait to see the pics!

  Joanna Kuo Jul 8, 2010 2:45 PM

3

Jen! I am reading :) Also sent some emails to your gmail today. Anywho, just a note to let you know I'm thinking about ya and hoping for SAFE travels and happy adventures. Please keep all personal items inside your underwear so nobody can pickpocket you! My dad said that is incredibly prevalent there and I worry about your 'sardine' moments with strangers and folks 'accidentally' bumping into you... Guess I worry cause I'm like a mom... ha! Anywho, you are missed and I'm proud of you friend. Thanks for sharing your stories and journey with us. You are AMAZING!!! :)

  Bjoy Jul 8, 2010 5:02 PM

4

Hey Jen! Looks & sounds like you're having a great time in Peru! Can't wait to read more about what you're doing over there. Stay safe and watch for pick pockets on the bus. Keep posting pictures:)
Love ya,
Gwen

  Gwen Jul 9, 2010 1:58 AM

5

Hi Jen,

How was the bus ride? You haven't posted anything so I hope you're ok. We miss you

  Sue Ellen Jul 10, 2010 2:50 AM

6

Hola Jen,

hope you is well!

  Tyler Nguyen Jul 13, 2010 8:29 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about Peru

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.