Existing Member?

A smile to warm the heart

My Scholarship entry - Giving back on the road

WORLDWIDE | Saturday, 24 March 2012 | Views [159] | Scholarship Entry

In december 2011 I set off on my eight month journey to explore Europe and the UK. This was to be my first ever trip outside of Australia and I was coming alone. I planned the first two weeks of my trip, after that I had little idea of what I would do. I imagined my travel to be more of a holiday but it can more adequately be described, if you will allow me the cliche, as an emotional roller-coaster. In the past four months alone I have been lonely and therefore homesick, I have been lost, and homeless, stressed and quite simply bordering on being an emotional wreck. Yet it seems that in moments like these it can take something as simple as a smile or a kind word from a stranger to turn all those feelings around and make the sun seem brighter, the world a little less scary. It has taken me four months to start building up the confidence to actively seek help and companionship, but I have found that most people, be they residents of the country you are visiting or fellow travellers, are all happy to help out in some small way. In Italy, when stuck with no money, a lady who had spent years in many several countries and who's unique accent shifted depending on which country she spoke of, talked to me until I was calmer and ready to tackle the situation. Homeless in Amsterdam I was taken in by a Couch surfing host at the very last moment. A stranger in McDonalds offered some fantastic conversation then came along to see me off on the next leg of my journey. Travellers I have been blessed enough to meet in Hostels have shared drinks, meals, and similar stories and for a couple of nights you are the closest of friends. I believe that one of the greatest joys of travel is the journey you start within yourself; one of self discovery and the realisation of the virtues of human nature. I have learned much about myself and a little of the world. Step by step I am piecing together the puzzle that is my life - not to mention the rest of my journey!

Tags: Travel Writing Scholarship 2012

About jelise


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.