Existing Member?

The traveler sees what he sees. The tourist sees what he has come to see. ~G.K. Chesterton

IN THE HECTIC PURSUIT OF A VOLUNTEERING ORGANIZATION

NEPAL | Friday, 17 June 2011 | Views [1486]

Finding a volunteering organization or any kind of NGO in Nepal is a strenuous work. Not only there are zillions of them in every part of the country, but they vary tremendously in price and quality. The worst part is that most of them are  nothing more than a fraud. Is someone really willing to pay 1 000 euros to volunteer (not just working for free for someone, but paying to work for someone). None of  these are food & accommodation expenses nor this money goes for the community development. However, this whole discussion about NGOs in Nepal has been going on for a while and it doesn't fit in this post.

            After visiting thousands of volunteering organization websites, I came to one conclusion, and it was that I still didn't know which one do I want to go with. It didn't leave me with much choice since I was sitting in my computer chair 7000 kilometers away. There was no other solution, but to wait until arrival to Nepal. Luckily, as soon as I arrived to Nepal I met some people who knew some Nepali NGO and I ended up volunteering as an English teacher. Actually, luckily is probably wrong word, Nepal is covered with NGO's. Finding an NGO is almost as lucky as running into Starbucks while walking in any bigger US city.  There is no reason to worry that Starbucks won't be found, so there shouldn't be worry that an NGO won't be found upon arrival as well. And then again, it is much more like Nepal just to let things happen and not plan to much. Coming from the West, makes us control freaks anyway.

            These Nepali NGOs aren't really western type NGOs, it is more like a tourist agency which will put you through to locals and charge you for that. My organization  was Ford Nepal http://www.fordnepal.org . They charged me 7 $ a day per food & accommodation (at least it was what they say), and then extra 25$ for administration fee. Although this price is fair comparing to what many foreign agencies are charging, this money doesn't go to school or community or host family. This made me mad in a way, since volunteering shouldn't  be about  business, but about helping those who need help. It loses that purely human and altruistic component of voluntarism once it's turned into a money maker. (Don't get me wrong, I still enjoyed volunteering a lot, but I'll make a whole new post, once I'm done with this paperwork & administration part.)  It even makes it worst when it turns out that this „NGO agencies“ are absolutely unorganized and will eventually drive you crazy when you give them money and end up running after them asking them to do some more volunteer work to fill up your daily schedule.

            When volunteering as a teacher, it's really almost impossible not to contribute to community since working with children can be nothing less than awarding. However, some  other programs, e.g. volunteering renovation programs may be real tourist trap thing, since volunteers end up in the middle of nowhere painting a piece of stone for weeks. My host family became my real Nepali family, so there is nothing more one can say to support helping the local community – it's impossible to stay with them and return the same as when coming in.

            Check with the agencies which school they work with by sending them e-mails and then contact the school directly. Most of them will be more than happy to have you over, and provide you with free food and accommodation. Another option, if you are having trouble finding a volunteering spot, is to contact me and the school I volunteered with may  become your next volunteer home.  

Tags: nepal, volunteering

About jelena3hr


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Nepal

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.