Existing Member?

India 101

it figures..

INDIA | Tuesday, 25 September 2007 | Views [462] | Comments [3]

It figures that the one night i dont take my camera with me, i witness some of the most picture-worthy sights so far.. Last night I went down to the temple around sunset, in time to catch the monks chanting, and then debating in their uniquely impassioned way.. but as the sun was setting it lit up the himalayas and the low-lying clouds in such a fantastic way that could only happen when i didnt have my camera.. so i'll go back again tonight and probably again tomorrow night if for nothing else than to take pictures of the monks doing their thing.. oh yes and after the twilight colors on the mountains, this pure white fog rolled in over them which was really amazing also.  oh well.

so i dropped my laundry off this morning, and it will be ready tomorrow. i have to remember not to forget that ;op. also i went shopping for everything today, so amanda expect a package in the next 10-14 days :) hope you enjoy. it was relatively expensive (about 50 US) to send it, and i spent about 100 US on everything put together. but when you figure that back home all of it would have gone for about 400 or 500, then it ends up being worth it. i think i'll get a few more things - prayer flags, a bag for myself, and maybe some incense, before i go.. but i've pretty much decided to head to manali on friday or saturday. hopefully i'll have better luck there in terms of meeting cool people.  here it's mostly israelis and they mostly stick to themselves. of course apparently most of india this time of year is israeli tourists but what're you gonna do. have i mentioned how prevalent coke and pepsi (and their various chips, candies, what have you) are here? they advertise everywhere, and they have strange flavours but basically the same potato chips, cheetos, etc. etc. and mountain dew and coke (in glass bottles, though). 

so yeah, what else.  woke up this morning with a bit of a sore throat.  feel a bit better now, so we shall see what happens.. i did bring cough drops but haven't opened them yet. the bed's not as comfortable as the previous one but the showers are awesome. no need to turn a switch and wait 30 min. and then shower quickly like the other places with hot water.   

ah.. i forgot to mention how helpful the guy at the tibetan store was.  he packaged everything up, wrapped it in plastic, boxed it, wrapped the box in plastic, then helped me to fill out the customs forms, took me to the shop to get the box sewn up in cloth, wrote the address on it, and rushed me to the post office just before one (just in time as they stop accepting packages at one pm exactly). good times :) the only two types of vendors here are tibetan or kasmiri, and the tibetans all declare the prices upfront with pricetags and the profits all go to help the tibetan cause, while the kasmiri bargain and wheel and deal with you and the profits go to them or their family or what have you.. so i only bought from tibetans so far.. not pushy either, the kasmiri are real salesmen, inviting you into the store, showing you this and that.. trying to make a sale big time.

the little beggars in the street must think i'm loaded.. or perhaps they think b/c i gave to one of them when i first got here that i'm going to give to all of them.  it's always either "money, money" or "not money food" or "not food, milk".. milk costs more than food, and food more than just giving money, and as desperate as they look, i know they make a decent living.. more so probably than those who choose to work.  at least that's how it was in bombay. the street "kids" would rather beg on the street and make 100/200 rupees per day than work for 1000/1500 per month.  and they keep having kids too.. always there's a baby, and at least one other kid hanging around.. some are quite aggressive, grabbing and pulling at you.. i don't know you can't help them all.. and money doesn't even help them get off the street, you know.. so what can you do?

anyhow.. hope all is well in the US of A.  i must admit i miss it a bit. i guess deep down everywhere's the same.. at least people/human nature is the same everywhere.. but i had to see for myself.  hard to believe it's only been two weeks it feels like an eternity.  alrighty then cheers everyone.

Tags: Adventures

Comments

1

Hi Josh, you will have another "golden" moment to capture the Himalayan's skyline! But it did sound MAGNIFICIENT! What do the monks debate????? I understand the chanting part but are they politcal, too :-)?????
I concur with you that People all over are the same. What we discover when we travel is that some are richer, poorer, more aware, less aware, etc. Once we learn what it is that went to learn, we can return to our homeland... :-)
Amanda will be very excited to receive the TREASURES!!! oooooooooooooohhhhhhhhh I can not wait to see them...
A difficult part of your trip are the beggars. I would want to constantly give to them but then you would end up begging with them. Ireland has many beggars and the little children are the most painful to ignore. When we were in France, the gypsies robbed us and tipped over Amanda's carriage and they were younger than ten years old.
Well, your entries are delightful ...so look forward to reading them........Have a good day...miss you and love you xoxoxDonna

  donna Sep 26, 2007 2:00 AM

2

Hi Babe,

Well babe i am so excited to get the package!!!I will look out for it. So as i wrote in my other e-mail i am not feeling so good. so my note will be sort but i love you and miss you. Hope it is sunny tommorrow as well,to keep you in happy spirits.

  AMnada Sep 26, 2007 8:24 AM

3

Josh -- glad you are getting to see some beauty in your surroundings and finding helpful people. I understand what you mean about wanting to help everyone. I feel that way when I get the mail every day. Since I give to CRS, and save the children, every nonprofit sends me mail asking for donations. The lettrs and pix are hard to ignore, so I imagine seeing the people every day is ten times worse.
Gabby and I both had this overwhelming desire to hear your voice today. I called her when I was feeling bad about not being able to call you. She said she was feelign the same ting today.
I got my first grad school paper back today. I didn't think I did my best on it when I turned it in. I've been sweating the grade and the feedback for over a week, but I got a 34/35!!!! And I also had my 6 month mammogram today and I get to keep my left boob for another six months!!!! A glorious day. Did I tell you I raised $945 for the Komen Foundation by doing the walk. My goal was $240 and I figured I would have to put in half of that myself, but when I checked the website yesterday I was shocked to see how many people had pledged support for me.
Reading your blog, I have been wondering who Donna was. I've been thinking it was one of your friends but today it finally hit me that Donna is Amanda's Mom!!! I'm so dense sometimes.
You might be interested to know that I have a date next Saturday night. One of the Irish nurses I work with is trying to set me up with a friend of hers who works with her husband. Her husband is Egyptian. I never even thought to ask what nationality this guy was. But he is supposedly interested in meeting me after Lisa told him about me. I haven't been on a fixup date EVER!!!! Hope there is some wine with dinner - maybe I'll bring some just to be sure.
I've got to head out to Sacramento now --- giving a talk in the AM. Need to load up my "toys" and 120 Toolboxes. I'll probably leave just after the traffic ends and get there by 2100. I am really missing you!!
Oh - one other thing I wanted to share with you. Yesterday I put an IV in a patient for Michael. The guy wanted lidocaine but I convinced him I was good at IV starts and he let me stick him without it. I was in the vein in one clean stick, but about 30 minutes later he reacted to the monoclonal antibody. The strange thing was he was in room 34 and he had the same reaction as I did when I got the Taxol. I was having physiologic flashbacks but I had to help this guy because he kept yelling "Debra Help Me" over and over. I couldn't get a blood pressure because he was shaking so much. So I gave up, got him on oxygen and held onto him, rubbing his arms, back and shoulders while he was shaking. We covered him with heated blankets and Michael gave him Demerol, Benadryl, Hydrocortisone. We couldn't give him epinephrine because he was so tachycardic. It was such a surreal experience because I could see myself in that same room, in that same bed, with you on my left side and Lisa Breen on my right side. I could feel the oxygen mask like it was smothering me. It was like I was feeling his symptoms at the same time he was. It felt kind of like an out of body experience. And I could FEEL your presence like I did when you stayed with me in that room. It was such an intense thing. Finally the drugs kicked in and the guy fell asleep from all th IV benadryl. Maybe that is why I missed you so much today. You are one of the few people who understands what I'm talking about when I feel these wierd experiences.
So...........Missing You......Loving You....... And Hoping you are having a fabulous experience.
Mom

  Mom Sep 28, 2007 10:26 AM

About jdemers26


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.