Existing Member?

Live Well, Laugh Often, Love Much Welcome to my e-version of Dr. King's inescapable network of mutuality...

Almuerza y Cerveza

USA | Saturday, 14 March 2009 | Views [347] | Comments [3]

Water?  No, a beer please   25Feb2009

This is an old story but i´m just getting around to posting it.  Plus, i dont have anything in particular to discuss in public this week.  And, ok – i have to admit that I fudged the title a little to make it rhyme.  Lunch should be written as ‘el almuerzo.’  so, fire me... :)

So, one of my favorite things about days off is ordering a beer with a nice long lunch.  Since I’m ‘off’ everyday here, I clearly can’t make this an everyday activity, else I’ll be buying a whole new wardrobe of pants here (As an aside, this would be the place to buy new pants.  I don’t know who these designers are, but they’ve mastered fitting bodies with little waists and not so little below the waists :)).  And, since there’s almost always really good home-cooked food at the house, it seems almost wasteful to eat out here.  But, I’ve decided that eating out for lunch once every 1-2 weeks is not unreasonable.  Thing is, I’m the kind of gal that likes to have “a place” where I go for lunch and a beer.  In Baltimore, my places were Mama’s on the Half Shell and the Waterfront Hotel (WTF).  Great food, close to home (walkable), interesting bartenders... I almost thought I had found “my place” here in Santo Domingo today...

So I stop at this cozy little Italian restaurant down the street from where I live.  I know what you’re thinking – Italian food in the DR?  But, according to my Fodor’s Travel Guide, some Italian in Santo Domingo is actually good.  Well, today the restaurant is sparsely populated; a relief from the food court of the mall that I’d just left which was overrun with adolescents just out of school.  I had been eyeing this place for a couple of days and decided today would be the day.  The menu looked good, prices reasonable, and I got to pick my own table.  I chose a cute little table for two in the corner where I sat with my back to the wall looking out at the restaurant in one direction and a nice large window in the other; great for people-watching or reading my book in peace...

Waiter asks, “what would you like to drink-bottled water?”  I reply, “No, una cerveza por favor, Presidente.”  Sweet...

Ten or fifteen minutes after I’ve ordered, deez guys show up at the restaurant.  You should already know because I wrote “deez guys” and I’m usually very particular about my grammar, where this story is going.  So these 5 guys come in, and I’m not lying to you – three of them had on button down shirts with the first 3 or 4 buttons undone.  There was bling galore (big chains, big rings), and I swear one guy was missing the tip of his pinky finger.  It was quite a sight, and I would say they didn’t really seem to fit in with most people I’d met in the neighborhood…  I’m thinkin’, “Can it be, the “Sopranos” in Santo Domingo?”  You know what I was really thinking but I’m not going to actually write it here since this is a public domain... (and if you write it, your comment will be promptly deleted :))

Anyway, there was a guy sitting alone at this table for six in the back, 3 tables away from mine.  I’m not sure how close he was to finishing his meal, but when I looked up again from my book less than a minute later, he was gone and the dudes were sitting at that table.  It gets better.  They don’t have menus and I don’t think they ordered – but food just starts like magically raining down on the table; several courses, in fact.  I don’t think anyone else’s food in the restaurant even got started before their food was just about done.  They were done and out before I was halfway through my meal.  I’m thinking, this is too strange; this can’t be my place...

One of the guys who was facing me in the restaurant kept giving me the eye – the ‘hey mamasita’ eye throughout their express lunch.  Dude even had the nerve to smile at me through the window once they were outside.  Plus, the pizza was not that good.  That sealed it – definitely not my place...

Comments

1

Wow. Just wow. Is no place safe?

  Mau Mar 16, 2009 3:51 PM

2

Wow..... quite an interesting story! I am so sad- there is no picture. You don't think he would have smiled for the camera? You know I, if that place was definitely not your place, I bet he could have suggested a "place" for you :))

  Joy B Mar 19, 2009 2:37 AM

3

Be careful - Love ya, Mom

  dtucker Apr 28, 2009 12:30 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.