Existing Member?

Through the Eyes of a Traveler "The world's a book, and those who don't travel only read one page." -St. Augustine

Life in the Nation's Oldest City

USA | Saturday, 17 May 2014 | Views [208]

Not many college students can say that they go to school walking distance from a fort that was built in 1695. Even less can say that their dining hall is surrounded by Tiffany stained glass windows. Nestled between Jacksonville and Daytona, in St. Augustine, Florida, Flagler College provides its students with a truly unique college experience.

In March of my senior in high school, I had a difficult choice to make. I was accepted to Samford University in Birmingham, Alabama for fall of 2010. I was also accepted to Flagler, but I couldn't start there until the following January. So I had to make a choice between going straight to Alabama or attend a college in my hometown of Savannah, Georgia for a semester and then transfer to Flagler in the spring. In order to  make my decision a little easier, I spent the night in a dorm at Samford and attended classes the next day. A week later, I went to Flagler to meet with the heads of both the English and communication departments. It was there, standing in the West Lawn, that I got an overwhelming sense of clam and home. I even told my mom "this is home," and I decided that staying in Savannah for a semester was well worth it if I meant to go to Flagler.

I began at Flagler in the spring of 2011, and I honestly believe that it was the best decision for me. I like that it is small; all my professors knew be by my name and took an invested interest in seeing my succeed. Even though it is cheesy to say, I learned so much, not just in my degree, but as myself as a person. When I started at Flagler, I was shy and quiet. Three and a half years later, with the help of my friends, I grew out of my shell and grew into self-confidence. 

While some people complain that St. Augustine is a boring small town, I do not think that is true. There is always something to do here, you just have to look. Not only is it mere miles from the beach, there is so much history here. I just love strolling down St. George St. with a cup of iced coffee on a sunny day. From there, I make my way to the Castillo de San Marcos, the oldest masonry fort built by the Spanish in 1695. It is located on the bayfront, and if I am lucky enough, I can see dolphins and other marine life in the water as I make my way around the periphery of the fort. Along the bayfront, horse and carriages are stationed on the street for tourists who want to see the city. Perhaps my favoirte part of downtown St. Augustine is getting a drink at one of the many bars and restaraunts St. Augustine offers. My personal favorite is Scarlett O'Hara's. A Gone With the Wind theme, this restaurant is located on the corner of Hypolita St. They serve a wide array of food, from burgers to chicken, to wings, and salads. They have a full service bar and have their own drink menu, whose drinks all have a Gone With the Wind theme. My favorite is its staple drink, the "Scarlett O'Hara."The city also offers a wide array of tourist attractions; it offers ghost tours, trolley tours, museums, and even the Fountain of Youth. 

I am very fortunate to have lived in St. Augustine for three and a half years. I just love the atmosphere of both the city and the college. Even though I graudated two weeks ago, it has yet to hit me that it's all over. Even though it went by way too fast, I am confident that the degree Flagler gave me will lead me to success.

About jc_carpenter


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.