Existing Member?

Thought I saw a Rainbow...

Kathmandu-2010

INDIA | Wednesday, 23 January 2013 | Views [283]

   In 4 years,I have been to KTM 5 times. Now I live amoung the local people,in a residential area.I moved to about a 15 minute walk from Thamel,(the tourist area.)Big room,even bigger TV.I now live on a narrow,dead end street,with barricades to keep cars out.It is perfect,for me.This residential area of the Nepal people,is a great find.It is a small,narrow,dead end street,with a Hindu Temple at the end.

  Let me describe the morning.At 3:00 AM,give or take 10 minutes,the stray dog pack starts barking,every night.I think they bark at 3AM,because they can safely do it.In day time the dogs would be hit.

I am on the 2nd floor,over looking the street.I have a very large window to solar heat my room for the chilly nights.

   At 5 AM,the Hindu Temple,30 yards down the road,Rings a very,very Large and loud bell.I can not sleep through this but is does not bother me either,The music starts at 6AM,from the Temple,on loud speakers.This acts as an alarm clock for the locals.I guess.

  The vegetable ladies start setting up at 5:30am,some stores open their shutters at 6am.By 7,it is quite busy,on my little street.Some mornings,I go down and sit on the steps and watch the traffic of people living their daily lives.I have a big beer mug size of black tea,with fresh mint.I pretend to read the daily paper,It gives me a sense of wellness as I watch the daily life,on this quiet little street.Both sexes walk by with freshly washed hair,still wet.Some housewives,still in their flannel night gowns,buy the daily meal.Perhaps chicken.Well dressed shop keepers and owners go by.2 ladies walk around with a tray with red powder and flower peddles.With a red smuge on their forhead and flower peddles on their hair,the locals have recieved their Gods blessing and good luck.

 School kids,young and older go by.The brave younger ones come up to me and try out their english on me.The boys have also followed me into the hotel's dinning area and watched me eat.I am the only tourist here.Right now.

Sitting outside I get shy glances,some smiles,and some don't even notice me.Like I have sitting there for years.Daily chores,shopping,gossiping,and people watching are popular activities here.The vegetable ladies sell corn,beans,and many vegetables I don't know what they are.They are done with their sales by 10:30,they pack up and clean up and are gone,leaving the place spotless.Not in India.

Twice a marching band came down my street.Not sure why.But they were a big hit.The World Cup is taking place now.One night,I came home to find a large TV set up on the street,about 35-40 people gathered around.I joined them for awhile.It was nice.

P.S.:On my 1st visit to KTM,2006,it took 3 days to hit my radar that KTM is over due for "The Big One."By that,I mean a strong earthquake.I made plans on how I was going to leave my 5th floor room...The plan?..Break window and jump for a tree near by.I figure that the tree will stay upright and maybe the hotel will fall...On other visits,I keep my suitcase by the door with boots,warm coat,bandanas,candles,water,torch,(flashlight,for you americans),all of my $...,passport,a bed sheet,(to tear and make bandages),and my cell phone.

  Over the years,looking around KTM,after living in different hotels,I figure 65 to 75% of all buildings will fall.Yes,70% will fall.Because they are so old.This of course will really upset me,as I have made many friends...HEY!..I have come here 5 times in 4 years...I must love the place.And I do.If they would let me,I would live here 7-10 months a years.

Tags: on the road to colva

About jazzmanblues


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.