Existing Member?

Mark_Murphy Meanderings

Shopping around in KL

MALAYSIA | Friday, 8 June 2012 | Views [450]

Michael has not feeling well at all the last couple of days, so he and Liz decided to stay at the hotel for the day while the rest of us went shopping. We caught a teksi to the KLCC which is the largest and flashest shopping centre in KL , which is the bottom of the Petronas Twin Towers. It is a lot like a big Chadstone with all the expensive designer stores and department stores but not as cheap as I expected. It is totally huge.What is interesting is that electronic equipment is about the same price as in Australia, so we didn't buy any tablets or equipment as planned.

 

We decided that the shopping may be better at the Kuala Lumpur Central Market. We had our map and decided that the easiest way to get there was to catch the train. The train station was attached to the shopping centre, so that as easy and we were soon on our way to the other side of town about 4 stations away. The train system is a plastic token system, so you buy your token at a machine or at the counter, then swipe it to get through the turnstile, then at the other end you drop the token through the slot, totally recyclable and very clever. The token are about the same size as a 20c coin and a little bit thicker.

 

We got to the station and walked to the market, the scenic route, of course, Gerard was in the lead. Now, that is what I call a market, air conditioned, inside, clean, organized and the people were not grabbing you all the time and asking you to buy things. The copies were genuine copies and the prices and quality very good. Gerard bought me a lovely jacket and some pants and shirts for himself. We also bought some souvenirs and gifts. It was a great place and highly recommended if you go to KL in preference to the market in China Town. We caught a teksi back to the hotel and joined Michael and Liz by the pool for a swim.

 

As it was our Anniversary we had booked a table at the revolving restaurant for dinner. The restaurant is at the Observation Deck and overlooks the city and the Petronas Towers. We arrived by teksi, 15ringett, and it was absolutely beautiful. We were there to see the view by daylight and the the lights at night. The food was a buffet, with all sorts of delicacies, such as fresh oysters, pawns, seafood of all types, malaysian dishes, roast lamb and all sorts of delicious desserts. Liz thought one of the little dessert bowls was made of chocolate, but much to her dismay it was actually plastic. We had a lovely evening, but they absolutely slug you for service fees and taxes, so you have to be mindful of that.

 

We decided it was time to go home and wandered outside to get a teksi back. It's the old story, they have you captured and you need to get back so they try to slug you 35ringett to get home. What a rip off, so not to be beaten we decided to walk down the hill, it wasn't far and we walked far enough, only 10-15 mins until we found a teksi to take us back at a reasonable price.

 

 

Travel Answers about Malaysia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.