Existing Member?

Mark_Murphy Meanderings

Frankfurt, not the sausage, the city!

AUSTRALIA | Monday, 20 October 2008 | Views [528]

Leaving Ennepertal and Bilstein we joined the motorway to go the Frankfurt, the final leg of our journey. We were starting to get a little bit miserable as we could see the end of our trip looming.

Today we were going to Nurbergring, a must see of Gerard's. We found it after an hour or two of travel and also found that there was to be a race on later in the day. People were doing laps in their own cars for 70euro per lap. I don't think Hertz would have liked Gerard taking their car on a lap or two. We found a vantage point and watched people flying by with various levels of expertise and speed. Looked very dangerous to me. Of course, you could hire a race car to drive for 750euro and do a lap or two. These little black ducks didn't have that sort of money.

Andrew had been there before, so we headed up the hill to the castle to get a great vantage point and view of the race track, it was very cold, but at the top of the castle tower you had a great view. Fortunately at the car park there was a hotel where we warmed up with soup before resuming our trip to Frankfurt.

We checked into the Hotel near the airport for a quick get away in the morning, grabbed our washing, we had run out of clean underwear, and went into town to meet Mel and find a coin laundry. Luck would have it, it was a bank holiday and no laundromat was open. It looks like we turn them inside out. We rang local Ballarat Mr. Brakes Steve Canny and he and Veronica joined us for dinner in the Opera area at Cafe Opern. Steve and Veronica had been touring Europe, pretty much where we had been in Austria and Switzerland on Harleys. They had had an amazing trip. We swapped advernture stories, at delicious steak and then headed back to the Hotel to pack for tomorrow's departure.

As one does, I was thinking in the shower, when I worked out that if we left tomorrow it was going to take an extra day to get home than it had to come over - the math did not make sense. We subsequently checked our tickets and worked out we didn't leave on Saturday, but Sunday. Hooray! we had an extra day!!!

 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.