Existing Member?

Mark_Murphy Meanderings

Florence to Venice

AUSTRALIA | Thursday, 2 October 2008 | Views [310]

This morning we learn bus/tour protocol. You get a wake up call, have 45mins to shower, dress and pack and have your bags outside your room and 45mins to eat breakfast and be on the bus. It was a bit of a shock to the system.

We were bussed and escorted to the centre of Florence where we were introduced to the leather industry in Florence. We then had the option of a walking tour with a local guide, but we decided to go and see the real David instead of the fake one. It was just amazing, another moment of "wow" and hold your breath. We walked back through the streets of Florence chacking out most of what was on the walking tour and seeing the fake David as well. Florence was much like Rome with narrow cobbled laneways and streets and little shops everywhere. I don't think I liked it as much as Rome. Lunch in a little local cafe and then back on the bus to head to Venice.

We arrived at our Hotel outside Venice and prepared to go in for the night dinner and get our first glimpse of Venice.

I had no idea what I was expecting, but we caught a boat from the entrance to Venice and travelled up the lagoon, which is huge, with a view of Venice buidlings and beautiful lights reflecting on the water. The boat came into the wharf and we walked towards St Marks square and our restaurant for dinner. The lights and views were wonderful and we crossed bridges over canals and saw the "Bridge of Sighs" on our way. St. Marks square is huge and along the sides it has street cafes and restaurants with bands playing into the plaza. If you sit down to eat or drink they charge and extra 10 euro for the music, if you walk by and stand in the square you hear beauftiful Italian ballads and songs for nothing. It all creates a carnival atmosphere.

Our restaurant was down some laneways and across canals into the heart of Venice and we had a traditional Venitian meal of "prawn cocktail, pasta and risotto, grilled fish and Tiramisu." I am not sure if that is real local Venetian, but it was quite OK.

We got back to our hotel after another boat ride and then bus ride about midnight.

 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.