Existing Member?

Mark_Murphy Meanderings

Roaming in Roma

AUSTRALIA | Tuesday, 16 September 2008 | Views [373]

Boy oh Boy!! we finally got to our apartment. What an adventure. We arrived in Rome to dark and wet weather! So we decided a taxi would be the best way to get to the apartment. The taxi drivers were amazing, it was absolute bedlam with them all wanting our fare, wanting to charge us twice what they should and Gerard telling them he would not go in a taxi if they did not charge us the right amount. Of course they were all getting excited and yelling in Italian and waving their arms around. Our taxi driver manouvered his taxi through the mayhem and off we set. Travelling at 140km in pouring rain on a freeway, on the wrong side of the road, dodging and weaving in and out of traffic is not my idea of fun, but Gerard and Jordan thought it was great. Much tooting and carrying on.

When we finally got to what we thought was our apartment and rang the owner, we waited for him for 20 mins only to have him ring us to find out where we were. Of course, we were at the wrong address! It was sort of a give away when he told us to wait in the bar next door and we couldn't find it.

So a walk to the local square and wave down another taxi to take us to the correct address. Our apartment is beautiful, and we really appreciated it by 10pm when we finally got there. On the way we passed the Colisseum and some other old buildings, which are all within walking distance. Then out to dinner at a small local restaurant recommended by the owner of the apartment. Lovely pasta and wine for all, then collapse into bed.

This morning we decided to head to the market, but across the lane we found a supermarket and did some shopping and went back to the apartment for a beautiful breakfast of yoghurt, fresh bread, lovley peppered ham and cheese.

We are now going to head to the market and the Panthenon, then meet up with Andrew and Mel at lunch time. We can't wait to see them. Peter and Gloria arrive today too!

 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.