Existing Member?

Mark_Murphy Meanderings

Nice to Madrid

FRANCE | Tuesday, 16 August 2016 | Views [279]

Today Lee and Michael and Nick and Liz are leaving to fly to Cyprus. It has been lovely spending time with them. Their flight leaves early and they have a stopover in Oslo. Work that one out! Anyway we got up early and said goodbye and then did a load of washing and had breakfast, croissants from the bakery around the corner, and got ready for the day.

We waited for the guy to come at 10am to get the keys for the apartment, but he didn’t arrive, so we rang the owner and he told us to leave our luggage in the apartment and take the keys, as no one would be in for a couple of days. A little while later the guy rang us and confirmed our airport pick up for 3.30pm.

We had decided to go to the village of Eze where they make the perfume, we went there last time and we were keen to go back. We walked to the tourist bureau and found the best way to go was to catch the tram to the bus terminal and then take the bus to Eze. Easy! We got to the bus terminal and we had just missed the bus to Eze, so we sat and waited for an hour.

The bus trip was only 20 minutes and basically straight through Nice and up the hills. The village of Eze is perched on the top of the mountain and very cute. We went to one perfumery and then decided we were hungry. We found a bar and had a meal deal of a glass of wine and the dish of the day. The dish of the day was a piece of a bird, don’t know what it was, tasted like chicken but much bigger, with a cream and sage sauce and mashed potato. It was delicious!

We went to the other perfume factory and bought some goodies and then we waited for the bus to Nice. This time we got off the bus earlier and caught the tram, the wrong way for one stop and then the right way to get to a bus stop that would take us to the apartment. Good plan, but the bus that went past the apartment didn’t stop at our stop and we had to go an extra stop and walk back. All good! We had made it back before 3.30pm.

Our driver arrived and drove us to the airport and we caught the plane to Madrid. While we were waiting I booked our train to Malaga and our Hotel in Barcelona for three nights prior to our flight to Venice. All our flights within Europe have been on fairly small planes that seat 40-80 people and park out on the tarmac and you have to catch a bus out to them and back to the terminal. We arrived in Madrid on time and caught a taxi to the Hotel. We had rung the Hotel and they had recommended getting a taxi, apparently they have a good reputation and don’t try to overcharge like Prague. Our taxi was fine, although the guys hand had an unhealthy relationship with his gear stick! He kept rubbing it all the way.

So we arrived in Madrid about 9.30pm and we had the most fantastic hotel, it was 5 star and beautiful. Lots of room and luxurious. I have done very well with all our bookings! We went out for dinner and spent a whole 6 euros 50 cents, for two beers, two rolls (not large but tasty) and a plate of fries with cheese and bacon.

 

 

Travel Answers about France

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.