Existing Member?

Mark_Murphy Meanderings

Milan 1

ITALY | Sunday, 7 August 2016 | Views [270]

We woke for a late breakfast and decided that today was the today to shop Milan. We walked from the Hotel to Via Buena Vista, one of the main shopping areas and wandered through many of the shops. We talked to a shop assistant about the lack of formal wear shops in the area and she advised us to catch the subway into Duomo and try the shops around the cathedral.

We did this despite Lee getting a dodgy ticket and having to get through manually. Oh well, these things can happen. At Duomo Michael and Gerard decided to go on the tour to the roof of the cathedral and Lee and I ventured off to the shops. Well, we found them! Prada, Versacci, Gucci, Louis Vuitton etc. etc. Just like the top end of Collins Street. We went into Prada and got followed around by security, but it was nice to pretend we should be there. Of course, we looked like tourists.

We shopped and shopped and bought nothing, but had a nice time. The guys enjoyed their trip to the top of the cathedral. They actually walked around on the roof and took some great photos. Definitely a different way to look at a cathedral. We found the statue of Leonardo Da Vinci and a pesky gypsie who wouldn’t leave me alone until Gerard yelled at him. We decided to go to the Da Vinci museum as it was nearby and open until 10pm and it was only 5pm.

We had an amazing time in the museum, two hours was not enough, we could stayed a lot longer but our legs were tired. The exhibits were models and computer generated images and all were very interactive. We had a ball. We found out some really interesting facts about the Mona Lisa, the Last Supper and the Lady with the Ermine paintings His sketches of his inventions and his sketches as the basis for paintings and sculptures were amazing.

We got back to the Hotel and sought advice from the concierge regarding a good local restaurant. There was one just around the corner and the pasta with duck ragout was delicious and the house red really nice as well.

 

 

Travel Answers about Italy

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.