Existing Member?

Junkets

10 Ride Out

LAOS | Saturday, 23 August 2008 | Views [900] | Comments [2]

The trip via Bangkok was reasonable. Jetstar catering nothing to to rave about and the movie player was a bad investment. My travelling companions nearly missed the connection to Luang Prabang.


Our hotel is a little out of the main town but quite comfortable in the French Colonial style.  I boasts a lovely swimming pool which saw some use on arrival and was an oasis after the first day's ride.

After sending the afternoon in the pool we headed into town for dinner at Tom Tom Banana - Adam the tour guide chose the food which was great - similar to Thai  (good green chicken curry and sticky rice).


We were up early today for breakfast in an open air pavilion by the Mekong - the Ka pho (rice soup) is highly recommended as riding food.

After kitting ourselves out and sorting out bikes we set off around 8.30.  It was already quite warm and after a pleasant 4 kms riding out of town we hit the one biggish hill (undulation) on the route.  This was a bit of a shock and caused some trepidation regarding return ride. With one short break where we were a big hit with village kids, we made it out to waterfall/picnic ground (conveniently placed at the top of another steepish rise). 

After some rehydration we headed for the promised swimming hole.  A week's precipitation had turned an allegedly languid blue pool into a raging brown/white torrent.  Nonetheless a few foolhardy souls thought a dip was necessary and a couple thought jumping from the top of a waterfall into a boiling cauldron of white water was just the thing to bring down the body temperature. 

After lunch, the ride back turned out to be easier than anticipated and provided an opportunity to test out wind and legs for the rigours ahead.

In the evening we shopped for necessary supplies (torches for those places with limited electricity, new memory sticks etc) and went to the Elephant for dinner (food good - corkage a bit high).  Adam and some of the team acquired Laotian school books for doantion along the route. 

We are now a end of Day 3. We  ave done 54 km out back to Kuang Si Waterfall (see above); a 76 km ride to Nong Khiaw (plus a boatride in a storm on the Nam Ou); 77km today (scheduled 118 but we pulled plug after riding a couple of hours in the rain over some dodgy roads) to overnight in Oudom Xia.  We have crossed a variety of terrain with some 800m of vertical climbing today. When Adam says we will encounter some undulations in today's ride we know "undulations" = muscle-straining mountains. 

WE have seen a plethora of wildlife and lots of kids have waved us on our way (I wont detail what some boys swimming in the Nam Ou waved with).

The food and accommodation have both been good so far but tonight looks like a step down (NB This piece of pre-emptive pessimism was not fulfilled - food excellent).

Riding varies from quite easy to quite hard. So far I have been among the  best climbers in the group but I am weakening.

I will try to up date in Dien Bien Phu where we rest in two says time.

Sabadee  

Comments

1

So while you guys were lazing around a pool somewhere in SE Asia ...

In front of a capacity crowd in Durban, with South African Commentators (thanks Channel 7!) arrogantly planning out South Africa's great triumph in the tri-nations this year... we beat 'em! Hah! 27 - 15

Oh - and also - Gold in Men's 10M platform diving - and Pole Vault and K1 and the Opals won Silver.

  SJ Aug 24, 2008 1:51 PM

2

Sounds like you're having a great time Dad! Lazing by the pool, eating lovely food! very jealous! How are your legs holding up? Is your back OK? Didn't make it to the Victory game tonight, but will let you know how we go.. Take care xo

  Jess Aug 29, 2008 7:08 PM

About jaybeen


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Laos

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.