Existing Member?

Ania & Jason's Adventures

Exploring Chiang Mai and visit to Doi Suthep

THAILAND | Thursday, 21 September 2017 | Views [399]

Today, after breakfast in the hotel, we went to visit a few temples in Chiang Mai.

 

The first was the largest in the city called Wat Chedi Luang and was only a few minutes walk away from the hotel. When we entered we both headed for what we both agree is the best part of the temple- the air conditioning unit. After about 10 minutes standing in the one place taking in the cool breeze, we had a look around and then went for a walk around the grounds.

 

After much deliberation Ania then decided to buy a hat before we went next door to Wat Phan Tao temple. We then went for a walk around some of the shops in the town before heading back to the hotel to refresh before setting off again.

 

In the afternoon we took a trip to Wat Phra That Doi Suthep which is a temple located in the mountains outside Chiang Mai. After a taxi ride up a very bendy road up into the hills, we reached the village from which we then took a funicular up to the temple itself. When we reached the top there were great views out over Chiang Mai and the surrounding areas.

 

The temple itself was bright gold and was pretty impressive. There were also a lot more monks walking around than in many of the previous temples we've visited and as a whole it felt a lot more real than the others.

 

In the evening, after we'd once again freshened up at the hotel (we're currently averaging 3-4 showers a day each!) we got some food and then went for a walk to the night bazaar which is a big market area slightly further away from the city centre.

 

I'd (Jason) left my sunglasses at the hotel in Bangkok so I was in search of some more. Luckily I managed to get a quality designer pair of Ray-Bans (well technically they're Riy-Don's) at the grand price of 100baht (£2.50).

 

Tomorrow we're up early (7:00am) as we're doing a tour outside of Chiang Mai. Details to follow tomorrow (cue the Eastenders theme....)

At the top of Doi Suthep

At the top of Doi Suthep

 

About jasonmarshall22


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.