Existing Member?

J and J's Coast-to-Coast and Along the Way "When preparing to travel, lay out all your clothes and all your money. Then take half the clothes and twice the money." - Susan Heller

Time in San Antonio, TX (4/3/16 - 4/11/16)

USA | Sunday, 3 April 2016 | Views [212]

STOP "B" ON THE TRAVEL MAP (PART 2)

 

Sunday 4/3/16

We left Mercedes, TX by 11:30 AM, stopped at a Loves Truck Stop in Kingsville for a late lunch, and arrived at Travelers World RV Resort in San Antonio by 5:00 PM. It was a beautiful day for traveling. The sky was blue and there was no wind. We stayed here almost exactly to the day two years ago on our way to the East coast. How weird is that?

 

Monday 4/4

Joe started the morning with 3 hours of pickleball at the Factory of Champions (an athletic warehouse-type building used mostly for volleyball and basketball). After lunch we drove one mile down the road to Mission San Jose. Joe has never been there, so it was fun having him with me. It’s a fabulous mission with so much history. The grounds are well-kept and most of the structures are still standing. We watched a 20-minute video about the native Indian bands (the Coahuiltecans) that once lived in South Texas. During the times of the missions, a considerable amount of them died due to raiding by the Lipan Apaches and disease brought here by the Europeans. They sought shelter at the missions for protection against the Apaches. By taking refuge at one of the missions they were required to learn Latin and Spanish, and new vocations. Even their names were changed. They had religious instruction three times a day (being called to worship by the church bells). Their days were extremely regimented, but after evening worship they were free to do as they pleased. The San Jose operated as a mission for 104 years (from February 23, 1720 to February 28, 1824) and baptized over 2,000 Indians. Families that worship at Mission San Jose continue in the faith taught to the mission Indians.

 

Tuesday 4/5

After more pickleball we headed out for downtown San Antonio. We parked and walked everywhere, getting over 12,000 steps:

1)      Took some photos in front of the Alamo. Since we’ve toured the Alamo before, we just stopped to take some pictures. You can never take enough of this historic site.

2)      Wondered around the River Walk – A walkway bordered by restaurants and shops that is 1 block below the streets of San Antonio and goes along the San Antonio River.

3)      Walked to Market Square (a Mexican market) and wondered through all the shops. It was a little too early for dinner so we didn’t eat at my favorite Mexican restaurant, Mi Tierra. It’s beautiful inside with lights and murals on the walls. It started as a little 3-table café for the early-rising farmers and workers at the Mercado. Oh well, next time.

4)      Headed back to the River Walk and stopped at the Spanish Governor’s Palace to take a photo – The adobe home was completed in 1849 and was the home of the Spanish governors who lived in San Antonio. There is a statue of a Spanish Conquistador in front of the palace. Opposite of the palace is City Hall where a statue of Moses Austin sits. He was the father of Stephen Austin, which Austin Texas is named after. Moses wanted to get an Anglo-American settlement started in Texas but died before his dream was realized. Stephen went on to fulfill his dream.

5)      Walked back to the River Walk for dinner at Acenar, a Mexican restaurant (4*’s).

6)      Walked to the Rivercenter Mall (which is across the street from the Alamo) and watched the animated movie, “Zootopia (5*).” The theater has recliner seats and we were the only ones there for the 6:30 show. It was heaven. We took off our shoes, reclined and enjoyed the movie.

7)      Walked to the San Fernando Cathedral to watch the “San Antonio The SAGA” – On the facade of the Cathedral, there is a 7,000 sq ft video art projection with choreographed music in surround sound. It narrates the historical discovery, settlement and development of San Antonio. It’s a must do if you’re in the area within the next 10 years (it may not be there after that). It’s free and has 3 showings 4 times a week beginning at 9PM. Bring chairs or find a place to sit on the ground. A perfect way to end our day and evening in San Antonio.

 

Wednesday 4/6

Again, after pickleball we visited two more missions:

1)      Mission Espada – This is the oldest of the East Texas missions having been founded in 1690. It was moved to the location on the San Antonio River in 1731. The Indian men were taught to weave cloth, blacksmithing, carpentry, masonry and stone-cutting. There is a crucifix there and the loincloth is made from a t-shirt Pope John II left when he visited San Antonio on 12/17/14.

2)      Mission San Juan Capistrano – The mission was moved to the current location in 1731 as well. The fertile farmland and pastures made this the regional supplier of produce; growing peaches, melons, pumpkins, grapes and peppers. The fields produced corn, beans, sweet potatoes, squash and sugar cane. They had just as many sheep as cattle (together 7,000).

 

Thursday 4/7

What? No pickleball? How did that happen? Anyway, we visited:

1)      Mission Concepcion – The mission was also moved in 1731 to its current location, and looks almost as it did in the mid-1700’s. Although the colors have faded, you can still see some of the paintings. Artisans supervised by Franciscan friars painted the decorations around 1756. To conserve the beauty of the past, conservators cleaned and preserved the original wall paintings in 1988.

2)      We drove by Lackland Air Force Base where Joe spent a couple of months in 1985 for boot camp. There is a visitor center there, but you can’t get to it unless you’re sponsored by someone. Well, that won’t be happening. It brought back some good memories for Joe though and it’s always fun seeing him excited about something. (Anymore, the only time he’s excited about me is when I do something silly and it makes him laugh. Good times… ya, good times.)

 

Friday 4/8

After the “Price is Right,” we got on our bikes and caught the River Walk bike trail right at our RV park. It follows the San Antonio River all the way to downtown. We rode 5 miles to the River Walk, had pizza and ice-cream (of course), walked around and then rode back to the RV park. Once home, we jumped in the pool and soaked in the jacuzzi. Ah, so nice.

 

Saturday 4/9

We spent 3 hours walking around Traders Village. It’s a large swap meet with 1,000 vendors, kid’s carnival, restaurants and a main event stage, which had a band playing today. The last time I was there they had a wrestling ring set up and had semi-professional wrestlers there. It’s quite a place. Joe bought a guitar so he can teach himself how to play, and I bought a purse to hold all the money we will make while he’s on tour.

 

Sunday 4/10

It’s our last day in San Antonio, so we spent it getting ready to leave in the morning. Cleaning, washing, checking tires, etc. The list goes on and on, but so worth it. Tomorrow morning we’re off to Roanoak, Texas for a week (which is 23 miles north of Ft. Worth and 33 miles northwest of Dallas).

 
 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.