Existing Member?

blundering-around-in-Africa

Farewell leotard

BOTSWANA | Wednesday, 26 July 2006 | Views [1038] | Comments [4]

At the begining of time the Tsodilo hills rose like an island materialsing from the lake.  The lake receded but the hills are still an island in the vast thorn treed flatness of Botswana. Sacred to the San for over 10.000 years the rock paintings, sometimes animals sometimes geometrical designs date back 4000 years giving a wonderful sense of the spirituality of the bushmen. As we explored the caves Joe of the jungle became concerned, leopard paw prints, fresh. What would they think of his leotard? Would they think he had killed a neighbour or worse that he was one of them. On the able fashion advice of our guide and protector, Adam, a gay ex-actor-archeology-student, Joe quickly changed into his Wilbur Smith , big white hunter wannabee, pith helmet and khaki shorts. The leotard he left for the leopard in case of a bad hair day.

The Okavanga was beautiful. Avoiding the dugout makoros traditionally poled through the reed channels by local fishermen, and having a reputation for an annual attrition rate for tourists, we opted for a boat trip. The early morning light on the lagoon and the reed channels was beautiful and we saw wonderful birdlife, crocs and a rare siatunga(backside of). Fortunately no rabid hippos. Adam joined us in a flight over the delta. Magical patterns of rivulets and lagoons cutting through the reeds ,herds of elephant and buffalo.

Our camping has become braver, camping in lonely spots with a big fire and the stars for company. Full moon over the Okavango, remote enough  for no one to witness us practcing our emergency escape. Joe, replete with pith helmet and stopwatch, supervising jane making the leap from tent to car. Unfortunatly the timing showed the only animal she would escape would be a tortoise with a limp.

Crossing Chobe gamepark from Maun through deep sand rutted roads reminded me of my mum - no high lift jack, no 4WD, no man , 5 kids in the car trying to reverse from a rhino with a large horn! In Savute the toilets are surrounded by a high wall like a fortress. The elephants had destroyed the previous tiolet and prior to that used to help themselves to the camper's shower water by poking their trunk through the window. I was grievously wounded when a squirrel knibbled my toe. Chobe's elephants were really something. On our last day in Bots we took a boat trip up the Chobe river. Pure magic, swimming elephants, hippos huddling and a large crocodile we got so close to you could smell its bad breath.

In the pinks of the dawn we took the ferry across the great Zambezi, leaving the peace of Botswana for the energetic chaos of Zambia - money sellers, insurance touts, roasted mealies, bulging buses - HOME!

Tags: Adventures

Comments

1

Jane and Joe of the Jungle!
My intrepid traveling parents. You are making me laugh out loud!! Love the updates. All well here in sunny Spain. Can´t wait to see dad in that leopotard - can he knit us all one?
Looking forward, more than ever, to seeing you very soon.
Love you muchly,
Katie

  Katie Jul 26, 2006 11:13 PM

2

You can certainly paint an exquisite picture with your words. What a great adventure, can't wait for the book!
Much love,
Lindy,Tony,Al,Em,Nic

  Lindy Margan Jul 27, 2006 7:21 PM

3

well it sounds like you have had a gret time, lovely to read of your trip. bangalow has been cold and wet and wet and i think we coud all do with seeing Jo running around in his best knitting, maybe we'll have to wait for th the christmas party for that particular treat. archie won man of the match last saturday in soccer and was very excited to get your postcard, thank you. Lx

  lyndy, graham, archie and pearl Jul 28, 2006 3:35 PM

4

WESTERN UNION TELEGRAM: SURVIVED HAIR RAISING FLIGHT OVER OKAVANGO stop FORCED TO LEAVE MAD COUPLE IN JUNGLE stop FOUND REFUGE UNDER BAOBAB TREE 400KMS AWAY stop WITH LOTS OF JAPANESE stop FILLED POCKETS WITH NEOLITHIC STONE TOOLS UNDER BREATHTAKING NIGHT SKY IN THE MIDDLE OF SALT PAN stop FORCED TO MOVE ON QUICKLY stop HUDDLING UNDER UMBRELLA IN MANCHESTER stop WEATHER UNBEARABLE HERE stop GOT TO FINISH STUDY stop THEN I AM MOVING TO MONTREAL stop

  Adam from Okavanga! Aug 2, 2006 7:08 AM

About jane-of-the-jungle


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Botswana

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.