Existing Member?

THE BIG ONE From sea kayaking to sheep shaggin' New Zealand has it all!

The journey continues...

NEW ZEALAND | Wednesday, 16 January 2008 | Views [451]

Hmm where were we. Ok we left north island on the early morning ferry and 3 hrs later we were cruising into queen charlotte sound and the harbour of picton at the top of south island. We now had shauns bigger car with a little more oomph so the journey should be easier.

Leaving picton we headed south to Malborough for wine tasting. 3 vineyards later and 15 different samples we giggled all the way to Kaikoura. And, yes dad we did go to cloudy bay and bought several bottles.

Kaikoura is set on a small penisula with a beautiful back drop of huge mountains. An early night was in order as we were up the next day at 4.50 am to go swimming with dusky dolphins.

4.50am Urrgghhh! The day was spectacular, fantastic, amazing, best day of our lives. We swam for around an hr with over 300 dusky dolphins jumping over us, swimming around us all in all a mind blowing experience. However, the day did'nt end there as at 12.45 we were off to see whales. In fact we were lucky enough to see 2 huge sperm whales and even the wonderful albatross!

Crayfish BBQ and galic scallops washed down with a wonderfull cloudy bay white topped the afternoon off after seeing some seals up close and personal.

16/01/2008 - Drove to christchurch which was very pretty and then onto Lake Tekapo which is a wonderful glacier lake with an azure blue colour. Climed a mountain for the view and off horseriding tomorrow. Photos to follow.

Hope all is well in uk ..... see you for the next installment

Tags: Sightseeing

 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.