Existing Member?

Cruising the world

Limerick, Ireland, 2010

IRELAND | Tuesday, 25 May 2010 | Views [298]

This weekend we arranged to head over to Limerick, Ireland to visit our friends Emma and Maneesh.  After their many visits to London, it was great to be able to return the favour and see the town they have called home for the last few years.

We arrived Friday night to a home cooked meal, followed by some drinks at a local pub, where traditional music was being played. What we quickly learnt about traditional music was that those musically minded congregate at these pubs and literally form a band for the evening and play traditional Irish tunes. And they sounded awesome.

On the Saturday we drove across to Galway Bay, which turned out to be such a sunny day (yes, in Ireland!) that I had to buy myself a skirt so I could change out of my jeans! We walked around the town, had a fish and chip meal and drove further around the bay to check out the sights.

On Sunday we headed to Blarney to kiss the Blarney stone. Little did we know, this stone was at the top of Blarney castle, which meant tackling a tight stone staircase and lining up before lying on our backs and being held while you tilt your head back and kiss the bottom of the stone (which has a gap so that you can actually look down to the ground as you kiss the stone!).  It is said that to kiss the Blarney stone will give you the gift of the gab.

That evening we enjoyed a home cooked Irish stew and headed to bed, before an early rise and flight back to London, where we headed straight to work.  It was a great weekend away with great friends. 

About jamesandjulie


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Ireland

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.