Existing Member?

Just me, my backpack and I Adventures and lessons on the journey of life!

Breaking World Records. No biggie.

HONDURAS | Thursday, 27 June 2013 | Views [660]

The day started as any other, a loud annoying beep signalling time to get up,  begrudgingly climbing out of bed, still groggy from an already forgotten dream. And then you remember the reason for your alarm... This morning you're off to break a world record. No biggie.


You wander to the shops, mask, snorkel and socks (to prevent fin blisters) in hand and get some breakfast to eat as you walk. You join the throng of excited divers making their way to Underwater Vision, all eager to participate in the world record breaking attempt. When you arrive you are surrounded by friends, you get your gear ready, BCD, Regulator, weight belt -slightly over-weighted to assist in the challenge, fins and mask and prepare everything on the boat.

There is a lot of waiting around, as the logistics are prepared and the formation is arranged in a dry run on land. Colours are allocated for the different levels and finally three boats of divers embark for Moonhole. At the dive site divers are instructed when to enter the water according to their colours and before long over 70 divers including photographers and witnesses are in the water together. Sixty-one of the divers are stacked up precariously on top of one another, in what is now officially the World's Biggest Underwater Human Pyramid!

A buzzer signals the start of the 30 second period the completed pyramid needs to be held to break the record and divers hold on for dear life, terrified they will be the one who makes the whole formation come toppling down. After an agonising wait another buzzer signals, photos are taken and still the 61 divers try not to move until finally they are signalled that the challenge is complete!

Backflips, somersaults, high fives, bubble rings and general underwater celebrations ensue. Before long the divers gradually exit the water and return to the boats, excitement buzzing as they return to the dive shop. A quick debrief and it's done, it's not even midday and this morning you've already broken a world record. No biggie.

Tags: scuba, underwater pyramid, world record

About jahne


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Honduras

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.