Existing Member?

Jack Be Nimble My excursion to the bottom half of the "other" America!

Chapter, High-Five

CHILE | Saturday, 26 April 2008 | Views [670] | Comments [1]

It has been nearly three months since arriving here in Chile, and three weeks here in Antofagasta, my home for the next 8 months.

This city is pretty unique, unlike any place I have ever seen before. It is located in the north of Chile, which is actually a desert. The Atacama Desert lies just to the east, the driest region in the entire world! As for the scenery here in Antofagasta, to the east are mountains, of a reddish-brown color. The city lies between these mountains and the Pacific Ocean. There are a couple of beaches, but the water is pretty cold, especially this time of year (May), heading into winter.

My family life is great!...I live with Norma (my mom) a seventh grade school teacher. Her mother (Abuela-grandma), who see´s that I am fed properly everyday/all-day. And Dago (my brother), a 33 year old graphic designer, who ensures that I have a good time. Carolina is Norma´s daughter who I yet to meet, she lives in Santiago, is 18, and is a cheerleader at the University in Santiago. Our house is frequented by Anita (Dago´s fiancee) and her son Javier, 11, who is quite a character. My room is comfortable, as is my bed. The best part is the fact that my house is close to the school, a 10 minute walk....the school....

I teach at Escuela Arturo Pratt Chacon,#80. K-8 grades. Pretty good size, and the classes are overfilled, just like home. My schedule is pretty nice, Monday and Tuesday 8-4. Wednesday 8:45-1:00. Thursday 8-12:15. And Friday 8-11:15. Not Bad! I have 5-8 grade, about 18 kids per class, a total of 26 classes. I split the classes with my host teacher, Leticia Diaz, she takes half the class of 38-40, while I take the other half. Class is 45 minutes. I am the only teacher with my own classroom, the teachers travel while the kids stay put.

The Kids. Hilarious!!...The first week I was mobbed with requests for autogragphs. That novelty has since faded, but I am still greeted every morning at the gate by lots of kids requesting hand shakes and various "Hallo´s Pro-feer"...My kids were a handful the first week. The second week I placed the multiple long tables into one large square table, in which I sit at front, thereby "keeping order". There was some misunderstanding that first week, the kids were under the impression that it was "their" class...I have since straightened out that problem!! There is still a couple of "renegades" who have yet to come to terms with the fact that once again there is a dictatorship in Chile!

The city is split into two halves. I live in the North, which is the poor, dangerous, part of Antofagasta. The South has the Plaza, the Mall, the movie theaters, and the sun...yes the sun!, a rather strange phenomenan, but it is always overcast here in the North, and sun always shines on the South (which is just a few minutes away on the bus!)...Yes, even Mother Nature knows how to discriminate!

There are two Internet Cafes in which I frequent. About a dollar per hour. And everyday the street market-fair takes place around the corner from my house, Saturday and Sunday being the big days.

As for some extra curricular activities, on Wednesday I help with the basketball academy at the school. Bent rims with no nets, a gravel filled court, and one worn-out, lopsided, basketball. But the rules still apply, put the ball through the rim, which I do, much to the kids amusement and awe.

What do I miss?...Without a doubt, the Lakers!!! There are about 5 sports channels here, and I do have cable in my room. There are two ESPN´s, Fox Sports, and some local sports channels. Unfortunately, ALL play futbol, 25 hours a day! The small amount of basketball coverage that does exist is dedicated to that argentinean player who is on that team in texas, manu ginobody. I do manage to wait, and wait, and occasionally, SportsCenter will grace me with a 12 second clip of Laker Dominance. The Internet is my saving grace for insight, boxscores, and highlights. But futbol is definetly King here.

Well, time is actually flying by for me. I can hardly believe that I have been here for nearly 3 months. I have a 4 day weekend coming up in honor of Labor Day, May 1st. The true Labor Day. I also have a 2 week vacation for winter in July. Don´t have plans for either yet, but I know something will come up.

That´s it for now. Thank´s for your support and encouragement...

Adios, Ciao,

Jack...

oh yeah, my spanish still sucks!

Comments

1

HOla Jack finally nice cronos about your good time in chile

Jorge

cronos = cronology

  Jorge Gomez Apr 30, 2008 7:09 PM

About jacques360


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Chile

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.