Existing Member?

Irene's Adventures

Honduras - Roatan

HONDURAS | Thursday, 20 November 2014 | Views [233]

 

sea turtle and sucker shark

We came to Roatan so I could dive, and dive I did! Our flight from Edmonton got detoured through Denver, then San Francisco, then San Salvador and finally Roatan – 20 hours later. We checked into the Sea Breeze Inn and had a nap ; but only after I checked out the dive shop across the street.

Sea Breeze Inn

The Sea Breeze Inn and Reef Gliders have a deal, if I dive twice a day then Sea Breeze gives us $10 a night off ($35/ night). If I dive 10 dives then Reef Gliders drops the price to $30 a dive. Not a bad deal.

Reef Gliders

We ended up upgrading to a room with a kitchen so we could buy some local produce and cook our own meals, especially breakfast – saving more money. The Sea Breeze has the Cannibal Cafe on site, and they were good, but cooking our own was better. The room was nice and we had a small veranda with hammock.

path to our room  our veranda
The visibility diving was not perfect due to the recent and ongoing rains. But there was still a lot of nice stuff to see. There were sea turtles on nearly every dive. One dive had a small sucker shark following us.

sucker shark

Dive Master Brian was excellent in spotting stuff. I think he looked a bit like Matthew Mcconaughey.

Dive Master Brian It's 5 O'clock somewhere

There were lots of hummingbirds. I saw seven at one time. Sometimes they would be sitting, like a sparrow, on a branch or fence. I have never seen so many hummingbirds! It was nice.

hummingbird


We stayed in Roatan for 6 days, never venturing far from the dive shop, grocery store and produce stand. We might have stayed longer, but we really did want to get to the mainland and the weather was supposed to turn bad, thereby stopping the ferry from running. We jumped the morning ferry (560 Lempira each) to La Ceiba where a taxi was waiting to take us to the Omega Eco Lodge, up in the mountains. (half hour ride $20US)

Complaints Department

 

About irenecabay

Irene Cabay

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Honduras

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.