Existing Member?

Irene's Adventures

Scotland - Loch Ness

UNITED KINGDOM | Tuesday, 12 August 2014 | Views [368]

Loch Ness

As we were filling the car with petrol the next day, Irene made comment to the attendant about the nicer weather. He told us that Hurricane Bertha had finally moved on. Hurricane Bertha!? No wonder the weather was so windy and rainy!

We were headed for Loch Ness via Inverness. The road map promised nice roads for the entire journey. However, the road map could not foresee the flooding as a result of the hurricane. The road through Elgin was closed due to flooding. 200 homes had to be evacuated in that small city. There were detour signs, which we faithfully followed – until they stopped – and left us to our own devices. We ventured down lonely country roads, some flooded and leaving us wonder if it were passable. If we thought the roads were nasty narrow on the previous days, these had us revisit our opinion. We eventually found our way back to the main road and carried on to Inverness.

We stopped at the Victorian Market. This once open-air market was built in the 1870's and has a wide range of specialty shops, all owner operated. It was nice, but not something that I would rush to see again.

Victorian Market

Once in Drumnadrochit, we easily found the Loch Ness Exhibition Centre. It was well laid out, with seven video theme rooms explaining things from the formation of the loch during the ice age to the modern day Monster myth. Although as many as 1000 people claim to have seen the monster, science has pretty much disproved all real sitings. First of all, the famous picture was a hoax – a toy photoed at close range. Things that seem to bob in and out of the water are most likely debris pushed up, sometimes vertically, by the thermo climes. Shadows waves and sea birds can play tricks on over active imaginations, as well. However, the most solid proof of no monster is the fact that in 1987 twenty-four boats equipped with echosounder equipment went across the entire width of the loch, sending out acoustic waves. They found something larger than a fish, but could not confirm anything. Considering the loch is accessible from the sea, the sitings could be seals. (Watch River Monsters with Jeremy Wade for more insight on salt water creatures moving into fresh water locations.) In 2003, 600 separate sonar beams and satellite tracking searched. Again, they found nothing.

Loch Ness

There was a small exhibit at the end of the tour showing other trivia about the loch. Most interesting to Irene (a scuba diver) was a styrofoam head that was sunk down to 230 meters sitting beside an untouched model. The pressure shrunk the head considerably.

shrinkage from pressure

 

Urquhart Castle was right on the waters edge of Loch Ness. We went to have a look at it, not intending to purchase an entry ticket, but Irene changed her mind and went in. Ed waited in the car.

 

Urquhart Castle Urquhart Castle

The castle was built in the 13th century as a royal summer house. It was raided many times by the MacDonald's. In the middle of the 17th century the Grant Clan pretty much got tired of being raided all the time and blew it up while they abandoned it, preventing its use by the Jacobite forces.

MacDonald's Take Away Menu

Despite the decayed state, it was obviously quite the grand palace in its day.

Urquhart Castle

On the return to Dufftown we stopped to have a look at Brodie Castle. This castle was built in 1567. The Brodie family lived in the castle until 2003. Interestingly, we met one of the cousins at the airport upon our departure. He explained that the castle was just too expensive to upkeep, so the family turned it over to the National Trust. In return, the Trust allowed the family to occupy one portion. However, in 2003 the last remaining heirs passed away and the entire castle now belongs to the Trust. The wing that the family occupied is available to rent. Unfortunately, we arrived just as tours were being terminated for the evening.

Brodie Castle

The road through Elgin was passable once more. There was evidence of the flooding in many spots along the drive. Large rocks were washed over the road in places and threatening to take the road with it. Trees were washed out by the roots. The rivers were swollen and raging.

When we were departing to catch our flight to London very early the next morning, we found that Glo graciously left us a small bagged lunch by the door. Thank you Glo, it was much appreciated and speaks to your kind hospitality.

Scotland is a beautiful country. The people are friendly. The history is exciting. We will be back to explore more.

 

About irenecabay

Irene Cabay

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.