Existing Member?

Irene's Adventures

Scotland - Perth Highland Games & Cairngorms National Park

UNITED KINGDOM | Sunday, 10 August 2014 | Views [269]

Perth Highland Games

 

The following day we headed for Perth, and the real highland games. This time the road was a proper road – complete with lines down the middle! Wow! We made the drive in good time and didn't even get lost. We even found a good parking spot when we got there. After that, all we had to do was follow our ears to the sound of bag pipes to direct us to the grounds. The sky looked very dark and menacing when we arrived at the games. We bought a large umbrella, put up our rain jackets and hunkered down with the wind to our backs to watch the games and events.

Hurricane Bertha approaching   Rainy Highland Games

Pipe Bands, pipe bands, pipe bands – everywhere we looked! We were to find out that the world Pipe Band competition was taking place the following week so most of the bands were in Perth to warm up and get ready. We met bands from Edmonton, Canada and Australia.

 Pipe Band from Edmonton Canada

There was a large fenced off area where the big burly men were competing in the caber toss, putting the ball, throwing the weight for distance, throwing the hammer and throwing the weight over the the bar. In the caber toss, the the idea is to throw the tree trunk as accurately as possible to the 12:00 o'clock position on an imaginary face of a clock on the ground. Distance is not key.

Caber Toss  Caber Toss

The ball for putting weighs 16-22 lbs.

Putting the ball

The weight throw for distance is a ball and chain with a handle. The athlete swings the weight around him then turns a few times before releasing the weight as far as he can.

Throwing weight for distance

The hammer throw is an iron ball with a bamboo shaft 4 ft long and weighs 16-22 lbs. The athlete wears special boots with spikes attached to the front which enable him to dig in and obtain a secure hold in the ground before swinging the hammer round his head a number of times to gain sufficient momentum before he releases the hammer as far as he can.

Hammer Throw spikes on boots  Hammer Throw

The weight for throwing over the bar weighs 56 lbs with a ring attached. The athlete swings the weight between his legs with one hand then releases it to go over the bar and come down only inches from him. The bar keeps getting raised until a winner is declared.

 Throwing the weight over the bar

The Commonwealth Games were held the week prior in Glasgow. Many of the competitors in Perth had competed at the Games. We were very fortunate to see world class Pipe Bands and athletes at these games.

 Pipe Band

While these athletes were competing on the south side of the oval field, and a Drum Major competition was going on in the north side, runners were racing on the outside of the ring. Cyclists were racing between races. Highland dance (strathspey & reel) competitors were dancing out side the oval, on the south side. Pipe bands (piobaireachd) were competing outside the oval on the north side. We had a hard time keeping track of all the events taking place. We didn't want to miss a moment, and were constantly looking from one event to the other.

Toward the end of the day, the tug-o-war began. 8 men per side, with leather padding to protect against the large rope. The fellow at the end wrapped the rope around himself to provide a better anchor. When the judge dropped the flag each team literally fell back, putting all their weight to the task. Their feet dug into the soft earth, burying the entire heel of the boot. It looked like nothing was happening, not one man budged. However, their anguished faces and cries of exertion told another story. A good 10 minutes of nail biting anticipation expired before one team weakened, ever so slightly; but enough to give the other team the mental and physical strength to dig deeper into their tired muscles. The weakening team rallied and saved ground. More nail biting anticipation. Finally, the stronger team prevailed, shouting support to each other, marching backwards in unison, yelling Yes! Yes! Yes!! with each small step. It was the most exciting event we have ever witnessed!

tug-o-war  tug-o-war  tug-o-war

 

Cairngorms National Park

Cairngorms National Park

 

 

Returning to Dufftown, the GPS took us on a different route than the one we took getting there. It was a narrow winding road BUT worth it. We passed through Cairngorms National Park. It was a pity that it was raining so hard because the landscape was absolutely breathtaking. Rolling mountains and moorland were covered in purple heather and soft greens.

Heather covered moorland

Crystal clear rivers and waterfalls added to the rich beauty.

waterfalls and streams

There were thick forests too. We passed the Glenshee Ski Centre, which is Scotland's largest ski resort with 22 lifts and 36 runs. We crossed many picturesque stone bridges.

Gairnshiel bridge

We saw many castles, some looked like they were still occupied, others mere ruins.

Braemar Castle

There was one part of the road that had a sign 20% downward grade!

 

 

About irenecabay

Irene Cabay

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.