Existing Member?

Flute player down under

2. Las Vegas on sea (the Gold Coast)

AUSTRALIA | Friday, 18 October 2013 | Views [539]

Last time I wrote I was heading off to the Gold Coast full of hopes of a nice swim and relaxing on a beach. Not to be. It was incredibly windy, in fact there hasn't really been a day since I arrived that you'd call windless! Some are a lot windier than others!

I arrived at Broadbeach to find it was a VERY windy day. Got in the sea to find I could just about stand up without being knocked down as long as I didn't go in above my knees. Back to the beach to lie down, got storm blasted and decided to call it a day about 15 minutes after I got there. So I drove along the front up to surfer's paradise and got out for a walk. Las Vegas has class and charm compared to surfer's. I particularly liked the Aussie souvenir shop which was run by Chinese. They greeted you at the door very politely and stood around conspicuously, nodding as you passed by. I bought 3 postcards. 

That evening I failed to put the new beer barrel onto the beer tap and just when I really could have done with a beer after a hard day's disappointment it had to be wine instead. Bill, the next door neighbour tried to help by pushing and pulling the barrel and the contraption that fits onto it but it was 'the house with no beer!'

The following day the girl in liquorland had a similar struggle and drew an admiring crowd from other shoppers who seemed keen to watch. Eventually the plastic lever moved and we had beer flowing!! I caught up with one of the chaps in Coles and gave him the good news that we'd succeeded and I now had beer!

With my GO card I've been into the city twice now, getting the train from Beenleigh station which is a 10 minute drive from here. The botanic gardens are lovely and take note Ventnor, but it's free and much more exotic than yours. 

There was a great free folk concert at the state library which was only slightly spoiled by the frost bite that set in half way through. The air con was obviously designed for Eskimos! We warmed up after with a hot chocolate. When I arrived before the concert I saw a man setting up a webcam. Asked what he was doing and he said I could speak to people in America if I wanted to. Ok, so as I sat down he said "They want to speak to real Australians" Oops! Still, had a nice chat with people in Wisconsin standing around outside in the dark. 

I also went to a morning concert at Logan entertainment centre to have tea and buns and see 'Black Tie' A fabulous cabaret act of two brothers with lovely voices, one started his career with Sydney opera, and their wives on piano and cello. The pianist was amazing. The whole show was funny and entertaining and the musicianship was first class. All for $21.50. I ate half the luminous yellow bun later that evening with a cup of tea. 

The afternoon was spent at Daisy Hill koala centre. Another free entry and it is great for getting really close to koalas, also wallabies were hopping around outside. 2 kookaburras let me get to within 2 feet of them. After I'd seen a large spider in a web I kept walking into spiders' webs which was the least pleasant part of the afternoon.

Ive been on the Brisbane wheel, which is like a mini London eye but it only costs $15 and you go round 4 times. Hardly anyone on it so no need to book or queue. In such a small pod, (it can take 8 people) you really feel as though you are going very high and it was a bit disconcerting the first time it went over the top. Luckily I did it with Linda. I don't mind heights but was glad I wasn't on my own! I then did the city hall clock tower tour which is free. You go up in a beautiful old lift and then walk around the tower 76 meters above the city. Great views. The wheel was only 60 meters but felt much higher!

Today we had rain! I did some practice this morning as I'm debuting at Brisbane markets tomorrow at 8am. They are on from 6am-12am but I'm not that mad! Then I went to Beenleigh historic village and sat in the car park in the rain. Next time I'll get out and have a look round. Beenleigh rum distillery is just down the road too, so on to there to see what there was to see. Nothing! 30 years ago I had a guided tour and bought a tea towel and a pretty bottle of rum. In fact I've got a Beenleigh  sticker on my cigar box which acts as my bass booster for my mini boombox which is my amp system for travelling. They are going to have a visitor centre built, starting in March. "Oh good" I said "I can visit before I leave in April". Unfortunately it won't be finished until May or June. Next time!

I've only got a week left on the south side of Brisbane so I've lots planned for next week. 

I'm also looking forward to hearing the Australian chamber orchestra with Steven Isserlis on the 28th October, playing Dvorak cello concerto and Brahms 4. 

Catch ya later!

About iowflute


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.