Existing Member?

Flute player down under

1. The first week.

AUSTRALIA | Thursday, 10 October 2013 | Views [684] | Comments [2]

Well, a week ago today I was being met at Brisbane airport by Dave and Seb and driven to my temporary home in Ormeau, Queensland 4208. Since then I've caught up with several old friends and met some new ones. 

I've driven on the 4 lane motorways most days and found that they're not too bad really, even for someone used to driving on the Isle of Wight. I still don't really like the gateway bridge as it looks like you're going to drive off the top! The Godsend is having the sat nav on my phone. it's been doing a great job getting me to places, just like it did in France. 

The animals here are great, Jessie, a Belgian shepherd is as meek as a lamb and trots along happily on our walks. Charlie, tabby cat, is bold and fearless and Delilah, long haired cat, is just beautiful and laid back. There should be photos of them somewhere on here. 

The house is lovely, large 4 bed roomed, modern, single story with a huge undercover outdoor area. Not much grass, but that's good as I don't need to mow. However, mowing in France was actually fun! By Australian standards this is not a large house. Some of the ones I saw on a drive out the other day were ridiculous. Where do people get the money? Mind you they are much cheaper than at home. Talking of money, I'm pleasantly surprised that the cost of food is not as expensive as I remember from 2010 and previous trips. A lot of things are much cheaper. 8 kiwi fruits for $2. That's just over £1. I'm eating a lot of fruit and veg. They say meat is expensive here, but probably about the same as the UK. I've had chicken at friends' houses a few times, beef at a Thai restaurant last night and steak on my first evening here but I've not bothered to buy any as I'm happy with the fruit and veg. Healthy eating! Not drinking too much beer or wine either as I've been driving most days and either come back too late or really fancied a cup of tea on my return. 

I managed to set the house alarm off on Monday night at 9pm. I now realise I hadn't been setting the alarm on the previous times and although I'd been pressing the button it hadn't done anything. This time I set the alarm for zoned inside. It went off as soon as I went into the garage to get the dog food. God it was loud! Bill from next door came to offer moral support and a few neighbours poked their heads out. I waved! Had to go down the street to call Julie for the code as I couldn't hear anything nearer. No cops turned up (what a pity) but they rang Dave to check he wasn't being burgled. As he was in Sydney there wouldn't have been much he could have done if he was. As a queensland cop himself he could probably have sent the lads round and any burglar would have had to be deaf to stay in the house with that thing going!

I keep meaning to have a go on the full sized racing car console but there are so many other things to do. Cross trainer and treadmill, pool table, wii, ps3 xbox etc. one day I'll stay in all day and try them all out. Or maybe not!

I've got myself some organised busking at a handmade craft market at Redcliffe on the north side of Brisbane. I'll be staying in Burpengary by then anyway so it won't be too far. I contacted the organiser on Facebook and then sent some audio files and they want me to play. That's on 2nd November and there's a Christmas market on 7th December. I will have to contact some other markets. Mary mentioned some last night. Not only was she paid for playing but they put the hat out and got money there aswell! Mary is Mary Brettell, Keith Brettell's cousin. For those of you who don't know Keith you are missing out! I went to meet Mary last night, we went to a Thai restaurant for a meal  and then on to a folk club she was singing and playing at. It was great. I really enjoyed the band's set. There were also 15 minute slots for others. A real mixture of Australian poems and singers with or without guitars. 3 hours went surprisingly quickly. Driving home in the dark, another first. Not much traffic unlike the day time but road works, so ground to a halt several times. Is there a good time to be out on the road in Brisbane?

I'm about to drive to the Gold Coast for the first time. It's about a 40 minute drive. I'll buy a "go card" while I'm there. The Brisbane "oyster card" equivalent. I'm going into the city on Sunday to hear Mary again but this time by train. 

Right, off to join the traffic!

 

Comments

1

Hey Siobhan... Love the blog :-)... looking forward to the photos ... M.

  Mary Brettell Oct 14, 2013 10:26 PM

2

I've put some photos on here Mary. They are underneath my photo on the right of the blog. Under photo galleries.

  Siobhan Oct 14, 2013 10:56 PM

About iowflute


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.