Existing Member?

All in a lifetime's work.

Whistle while you work.

USA | Sunday, 12 August 2012 | Views [566]

Hi, All – These last few weeks have been packed with intensity.

 

There has been a lot of back-and-forth at work with new policy changes about me being able to get a permanent position within the Finance Department before I have a 100% completed finance degree and even my CPA. To have all of those under my belt, it would be at least 5 years. I am having a hard time understanding my boss because she was very blunt with me during my mid-year review that there is no way I can be part of the team before I have obtained all of those degrees/certifications but I should look into other corporate avenues within the company and eventually make my way to Finance. She then turned around and said that they are considering extending my temporary assignment another month and also making my position a permanent one but I would have to apply and might even get it before I have all of my degrees/certifications. I am growing tired of trying to read between the lines she is writing so I will just keep working hard and see what comes my way in the next few months.

 

All of that being said, I decided to get my MBA. I applied for January enrollment in a dual concentration of International Business and Finance. As I promised myself I would stay within the company´s tuition assistance funding amount, I will be taking one course at a time. This would put me at about a 4 year mark for completion. Wish me luck!

 

In all of the commotion of my previous entries, I completely forgot to write about all of the fun visitors I have had recently! L was back for about a month between her jobs in Mexico. We got to visit each other for one night. I was, admittedly, a bit of a grumpy pants the day she came to visit so she more than fulfilled her Friend Duty by taking me out for some Mexican comfort food, a beer and a personal pint of icecream – none of which I had more than a few bites/drinks of but nonetheless appreciated her generosity and patience! Not long after that, P and her boyfriend C were back visiting from Europe for about a month. I was in much better spirits for their visit. We enjoyed a delicious American meal and lots of catching up as it had been two years (since college graduation) since we saw each other last! I know what it is like to be visiting a place you have not been in a while and how you tend to get pulled in many directions. I was thrilled they all were able to make time for a nice visit with me.

 

Every now and again I am reminded of just how small of a world it is in which we live. There have been some new faces at church lately as people are moving to the area for the new round of college enrollment and other various life changes. After a few weeks of speaking with one of the gentlemen in particular (I say gentleman, he´s about my age), a light bulb apparently went off in his mind and he got really excited saying “I know! You´re related to the L.P. family in Florida, aren´t you?!” I just about fell out of my chair because 1 – people always make those connections to the other side of my family due to last names and general appearances 2 – this sort of “I-know-your-family-but-you-don´t-know-I-know” only happens to me when I am around my hometown and never in Chicago (for obvious reasons) and 3 – because after all of that, even if someone does draw the connection of my relation to the L.P.’s, it´s always the family in NY, never FL! Apparently, he knows my aunt and uncle pretty well. They even recommended he get in touch with me once he moved to the area but in all of the commotion of moving, he forgot to get my contact information. It was a fun, unexpected little happenstance today.

 

Yesterday, a large group of us met at the new priory to clean it from top to bottom. We were cleaning from 9am until 6pm mass. We cleaned a solid 20+ bedrooms, 2 community sized bathrooms, a massive library and a double kitchen. I even found myself scrubbing walls and ceiling fans. We accomplished a lot, even much more manual construction, repairs and landscaping, in one day. I have to be honest, I don´t think I ever cleaned so much or so thoroughly before in my life. (Sorry, Mom :0) ) I woke up the next morning more sore than I am if I did an intensive workout. Yikes. In all seriousness, it was very gratifying to be able to work next to so many passionate and talented people for a great cause. I learned a lot about cleaning tips and tricks that will help me when I decide to clean my apartment that intensively. There is still a lot of work to be done but the main rooms, and then some, are move-in ready for the first priest to arrive on Wednesday. I imagine we will have a few more intensive cleaning days to finish the rest of the building.

 

Until next time!

About imatravelin


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.