Existing Member?

All in a lifetime's work.

Holding my breath.

USA | Wednesday, 23 November 2011 | Views [243]

No sooner than my alarm clock rang for me to wake up and register for classes for my Spanish Health Care Interpreting courses, had my district manager called me. It was 8am sharp. I was tempted not to answer the call as I was anticipating him either commenting on something I did/did not do at work the previous day or him asking me to be to work in 15 minutes to cover for an extenuating situation. Either way, it was my day off and I wanted to enjoy it, yet for some reason I found myself groggily answering the phone.

 

I could tell by the way he greeted me that he was smiling. I could not tell if he was smiling for good news or because a sarcastic remark was about to leave his lips. The beginning of the conversation was filled with several dramatic pauses. He finally made the first comment of real substance when he asked me my database skills. I gave him my answer (modest to moderate) and then asked him why he was calling me at 8am on my day off for this seemingly arbitrary question. (Silly, me! District managers never ask arbitrary questions!) His response blew me away. He told me that he knew of a Senior Finanace Analyst position opening up at HQ. The kicker being, both him and the reginonal director recommended me for the position. My mind began to race faster than a speeding bullet and I immediately rescinded my answer about my database skills, indicating that I can easily learn advance methods for that. I could hear him glowing on the other end. He told me to keep an eye out for the position if I decided to apply.

 

Keep in mind, this position would mean I would work at Area Head Quarters where the region and area senior management teams are housed, aka, big exposure. Additionally, this would mean that I would get a regular, set schedule of MONDAY - FRIDAY (!!!!), paid holidays and the like. For those perks alone, I would do almost any job at HQ but this particular one would help round out my skill set.

 

The following day I saw the position available and accepting applications. I jumped on the gun to prepare all of my necessary documents for submission. Within several hours of applying, the Associate Director of Finance contacted me. She indicated that she remembered me from another presentation that I gave at HQ this past summer, really enjoyed my personality and though I had fantastic qualifications. She followed up by saying that she wanted to interview me the following week.

 

Interview, round 1. It was a phone interview and I was fully (and perhaps foolishly) anticipating a more behavior style interview, as typically that is the focus of round one. She wasted no time in the behavior questions and asked for details about my qualifications. I was a bit caught off guard but I rounded it out nicely.

 

Several days later, I found out that I got a second interview. This time, both of the region retail directors were going to interview me in person. This meant that one of them was the person who recommended me for the position. My little mind just about exploded with excitement. I spent the next several days racing to finish big projects at work, prepare for my interview and learn all of the vital database tools. I felt like I was in college again, averaging 5 hours of sleep a night.

 

The big day arrived and I found myself walking back into HQ. I remembered the first few times I walked into the high rise with the company emblem proudly displayed at the very top and the excitement that welled within me when I was there for new hire training. This time, I was walking in with a tenured confidence and found myself greeting people that I had gotten to know over the last year and a half. It was a pleasant reminder of the hard work and long road I had come.

 

The interview started with only one of the directors. It appeared to me that they were playing good cop/bad cop. The gentleman who recommended me for the position began the interview and was very friendly asking me a mix of pointed questions of my qualifications and seemingly "off the cuff" questions that were pointed in a subtle way. I was very relaxed and enjoying the process. About a half hour later, the other director comes in the room and immediately begins throwing his weight around. I calmly counter his questions with very "me" responses. I had fun with it all and I think they saw that.

 

By the end of the interview, I gathered that I am one of four candidates they are considering. I am the only one who is not from the finance department already and the only reason I was considered for the position is because of the people who recommended me. They are looking for someone who has deep database knowledge, intimate understanding of the retail channel, good/outgoing personality and highly comfortable interacting with all levels of management. After interviewing me, the directors both said their only concern was my database knowledge which is teachable. They also indicated that no matter how this particular job turns out, that they guarantee I have a fantastic career at this company.

 

I was flying high after the interview as they repeatedly drew connections between my disposition and that of our current CMO, also a female (she started working for the company as a part time gig to fill summers as she was an English teacher). They mentioned that I was the sharpest young professional they had met in a long time. Afterward, I received an email from one of them, asking if he could be my personal mentor and career path guide. Yep, I hit the roof. Clearly, I agreed.

 

I do not know if I will ultimately get the position in the finance department but I am confident that other opportunities will come my way if that does not pan out for me. I am desperately hoping they make me the offer but only time will tell! I am anticipating to hear official word by the end of next week (end of November). The director who recommended me for the position will be visiting my location on Black Friday so I will see what I can find out from him. My district manager also told me he would keep his ears open for any word for me.

 

If I were offered the position at HQ, I would not be able to take classes like planned for health care interpreting so I am going to postpone enrolling for at least one semester. I will keep you all posted if/when I decide to enroll.

 

AAAGH, so much excitement for one person! I will keep you all posted.

 

Enjoy lots of turkey on Thanksgiving and we will be in touch soon!

About imatravelin


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.