Existing Member?

All in a lifetime's work.

My car needs some love.

USA | Thursday, 2 September 2010 | Views [261] | Comments [1]

Anyone close to me will tell you I´ve had quite the time adjusting to my new life in Chicagoland, particularly in regards to corporate America. However, hands down, my car has taken the brunt of the anti-love.

It started a few weeks after I arrived. I was driving home one evening and I hear 3 rapid succession "bangs" against my car. I almost swerved off the road because I thought I was getting shot at. (I live in an quiet, overtly wealthy suburb, mind you.) I couldn´t believe it. My heart was pounding out of my chest. I take a moment to look back at my passenger side window and realize my car simply got egged! It wouldn´t have been nearly as bad if I hadn´t made a donation to a second hand store earlier that day. I say that because with the load in my back seat, the window got lowered a bit without my knowing and some egg got inside my car.

I washed my car and moved on. A few weeks later, for at least a week, I would come out of work and there would be this clear sticky film covering my entire car. The windshield would be so badly smudged after I try to rinse it off with the wipers that I had a hard time driving home. The first time I thought it was a silly prank but then I just got frustrated because I had spent so much money to wash my car only to have it happen again a day or two later.

So I thought "Ok, I just had to wash my car a few extra times. It´s no biggie" buuuut I spoke too soon because destiny had other ideas in mind. I was driving to work at 6am the other day for a special meeting before the store opened. Long story short, a deer grazing on the opposite side of the road decides it needs to suddenly get to the other side. I started slowing down as soon as I saw it and of course slammed on my brakes once it started running but I couldn´t stop in time. It hit the front of my car, my windshield and then stopped on my roof. It rolled off but was too badly hurt to run away. I felt so incredibly bad for the deer. Somehow it wandered off by the time the police came so they couldn´t put it down. It broke my heart.

I am fine. I wasn´t hurt whatsoever, just a bit shaken. I didn´t even get whiplash. My car, while a bit bruised, will be ok. Somehow there was no major damage when I believe my car should have been totaled. I needed to replace the light and get the driverside wheel well pounded out so it wouldn´t scrape my tire when I turned.

Getting that fixed was a trip and a half. Somehow, I lucked out and found someone to do a qulaity job without price gouging me. (I was trying to save a few bucks through college and only had liability on my car when it happened.) I dropped my car off the other day to get fixed and walked to a coffee shop a few blocks away to wait. On my way back to the mechanic, I was making my way down the street and encountered 7 geese chilling in the middle of the sidewalk. Mind you, this is a very busy road. I am not sure where these geese came from, but they were there! Needless to say, the geese instantly were on the defense. They started puffing out their chests and wonking at me. I could only think of what the newspapers would say the next day "Woman pecked to death by 7 geese" - jajaja. Between dodging the nips and goosey landmines, I must have been quite the spectacle for passerbyers!

I feel very blessed that I wasn´t hurt after the accident. Someone was watching out for me, that´s for sure!

Comments

1

did you ever think of writing a book......just a thought......

  Barbara Sep 4, 2010 12:03 AM

About imatravelin


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.