Existing Member?

Donna's travels

I am still alive... I just got sick of shitty internet places

VIETNAM | Tuesday, 18 March 2008 | Views [569] | Comments [2]

It seems I haven't written anything since we left Phnom Penh. I'm now in Hoi An. We spent a few days in Ho Chi Minh City and it was nice to just stay in one place for a few days (3 nights). We didn't really do a huge amount while we were there, but we did go out to see the Cu Chi tunnels. I have a rather nice bruise on my knee from crawling through them. You can also pay to shoot a rather big gun if you want to but I just watched. It did bring up a question I have about war though - how the hell does anyone shoot those things multiple times and not go deaf?

After HCMC we went on the overnight train to Nha Trang and did another snorkelling trip. The water is much cooler there than it was in Sihanoukville since it's further north, but it was also a lot clearer. Our snorkelling trip ended up turning into people just jumping off the roof of the boat. It was about 3m above the water and one girl decided she wanted to dive but chickened out too late and belly flopped so badly that she has massive bruises on her thighs. On the same boat trip we walked through a small island village and had lunch there, then went and fell asleep on the beach. I didn't sleep at all on the train so I was really really tired by then.

We then had one night in Nha Trang and instead of going to bed early like we all felt like, we went out to the Sailing Club which had extremely cheap drinks... Quite a number of people from the group had money stolen out of their wallets (but the wallets, cards etc returned) and the guide was more upset than anyone else because that had never happened to his groups before. He got the number plate of one of the people's scooters and reported it to the police, but their style of investigation was to call the owner and ask them to come to the station... do you think they showed up? I didn't have anything stolen (the only thing I've lost so far is half a bottle of water).

Comments

1

You didn't want to fire an AK-47 like some sort of delinquent?



Was that catching the reunification express or another train?


  Grant Mar 18, 2008 3:02 PM

2

seems like sleep will be a priority soon. Don't get too tired to climb Mt K. I met someone tonight that has climbed Mt K and that it is well worth while. Also heard that the food is awesome in Kota Kinablu and Kuching and that the caves are excellent too. cheers D

  denise Mar 19, 2008 10:43 PM

About ickis


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Vietnam

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.