Existing Member?

Donna's travels

Cambodia

CAMBODIA | Tuesday, 11 March 2008 | Views [528] | Comments [7]

Today is basically our last day in Cambodia. We go to the genocide museum and the killing fields this afternoon and then drive to Ho Chi Minh City tomorrow morning.
We just spent the morning at the "Russian" market in Phnom Penh and it was bloody hot.
I'm currently trying to get my photos backed up to CD. I tried to upload a few so you could see them but the internet connection here keeps dropping out and pages don't finish loading so it's a pain in the butt. I also tried to reply to your emails but I have no idea if they went through.

The homestay was very interesting. There were cows in the backyard and we had very simple beds with mosquito nets. We played cards and it rained a lot. The food was served away from the houses where we stayed and was simple but nice. We played volley ball while we waited for the food and then remembered that we weren't going to get to shower until the evening of the next day after a long bus ride... oops.

Then we went to the beach at Sihanoukville. That was nice. We went snorkelling and everyone except me and one other aussie got really burnt. Silly poms just don't get it... although, in defence of my room-mate she constantly covered herself in 30+ sun screen and still got badly burnt. Oh well. It rained a lot and on one night we walked through the rain to get dinner and the mozzie repellent got washed off. Then we sat on the balcony all evening and forgot about reoding the repllent so we all got very badly bitten. My feet look like I have chicken pox. We've all learnt that tiger balm is awesome on mozzie bites though :)

I have to go now or I'll miss the bus to go out to see the killing fields etc...
I hope all is going well. Bye for now!

Tags: On the Road

Comments

1

Sounds good, other than the mosquitoes.

It's been hot here this week. It's supposed to stay above 30 until about Saturday.. bleh.

  Grant Mar 12, 2008 4:07 PM

2

Hey Donna - Those Russian markets are great! I bargained the crap out of that place. I reckon the homestay sounds awesome. I bet it was a really nice experience.
Grant's right about the heat - summer turned up late this year - I just got sunburned so bad at the coast on the weekend!

We went out for Kev's birthday last night to Bella Vista in Belco. Never been there before. It was really good. I ate steak and yabbie and prawns...I gave Kevin two bottles of wine.

have a good one


  Stevo Mar 12, 2008 4:22 PM

3

sounds like a good rime was had by all in Cambodia. Did you buy anything in the Russian market?
Kevin called from Qantas lounge in Sydney this morning - having champagne and caviar I think. He would be nearly in Osarka by now.
Take more photos, eat more strange foods, have a great time. c ya

  denise Mar 13, 2008 6:19 PM

4



I've come up with a new way to avoid awkward comments from thesis examiners...

  Grant Mar 13, 2008 6:43 PM

5

a sign of desperation?

  d Mar 14, 2008 9:29 PM

6

No, just procrastination.

(and i wanted to see if I could link an image in here. except that i've now forgotten what image I was originally wanting to link)

  Grant Mar 18, 2008 10:56 AM

7

So it's just as hot there as it is here, that's nice :)
I bought a silk table cloth thing at the market which I've sent home. I'm not sure if I want to keep it myself or give it to someone as a present, but I'll worry about that later.

As for linking images... I tried, but it's so slow to load images on these dodgy computers that it keeps timing out before finishing so I've given up. I might try again later, but for now you'll have to put up with no photos. I really wanted to put up a photo of the bamboo bridge - it's not a suspended one, it's on stilts and reasonably strong but still feels really dodgy and has no sides.

  ickis Mar 18, 2008 2:20 PM

About ickis


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Cambodia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.